WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your oldest watch? Does it have a story?
Here's my 1950 Omega in stainless that belonged to my maternal grandfather.

By the way, I realize this isn't a high - end piece. Hopefully, others here can show us a few vintage pieces that mean something to them whether they're HE or not.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have an older pocket watch laying around, but my oldest wrist watch is a Marvin Hermetique circa 1930's to 1940's in 18 KT gold. Was probably high end at the time.

No story unfortunately. Just a random acquisition.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Far from high-end, far from valuable, the watch I remember my dad wearing when I was a kid, teen. I always sat to the left of my Dad at dinner / lunch / breakfast and remember listening for / hearing the winding of the watch whenever he moved his arm.

This Lincoln automatic is older than I am and a gift from my Mom to my Dad when he graduated (I think) - that was before they got married in 1957. The watch stopped working at one point and ended up in his drawer, replaced by some quartz model. I got this one (plus 2 more) in 2011 - I actually asked for them. Checked with my 3 brothers if anyone gad an interest in these watches - none of them did.

An acquaintance, studying to become a watch repair person, offered to get them back in to running condition, cleaning, etc., call it "sympathetic restoration" at cost. Still, the money spent on parts is probably higher than the monetary value of the watch, yet a far cry from the sentimental value.

Unfortunately, I only have poor / low resolution before pictures, but these give the idea.

H2 Before Frontside.jpg

H2 Before Backside.jpg

Lincoln_auto_21.jpg

Lincoln_auto_22.jpg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Elgin 14k Gold Hunter Case Pocket Watch Sr# 4333276 Case # 15359 C.W. MFG CO 1890 11j size 6s (run 3000) Mom’s Attic Mystery Owner.

Bob
🇺🇸

Attachments

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the "WR 1 ATM". I've never seen a watch with a 10 meter WR statement before.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My oldest, the wristwatch is a 14 k WG Hamilton 1930, only one thousand were made; the pocket watch is a 1874 American Watch, Waltham movement model, coin silver case, with winding key. Interesting that this watch was made two years before Custer went brain dead, June, 1876.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The larger pocket watch is my great grandfather's 1927 Hamilton railroad grade pocket watch. My mom held on to these 2 watches and some coins from my dad's side of the family after they divorced. She brought it out to me 2 years ago and I was able to find a watchmaker to repair it for me. I wear it a few times a year especially in fall and winter when I wear a vest. The other pocket watch dad didn't remember. As for the coins there are some really old pennies and some coal mine credits to the country store which I thought was neat.

Attachments

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a treasure. You can look at this watch and feel the time during WW ll. Congrats on owning this little bit of history.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow - love this piece.
Thank you. It is a favorite of mine too. Actually works well size wise at 39mm as a dress watch. Works well and keeps accurate time, but Maintenance on it can be challenging with parts. When there were issues with the date system, I had to have a new gear custom made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts