WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

381 - 400 of 606 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,750 Posts
It's more like Rolex is an internationally known status symbol admired and inspiring billions of people, and no one but a handful of self-absorbed watch enthusiasts has ever heard of the Aquanaut or Royal Oak.
My post was a joke because this thread has gone a bit silly IMO

But seriously....inspiring billions? They are just watches

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
It is humorous to see certain members argue the merits of Rolex’s power reserves, accuracy and other technical aspects of the movement when compared to the trinity brands, but taking the exact opposite position when Rolex gets compared to GS or Omega, i.e., “who cares about movements and accuracy. That’s not what Rolex is about.” The hypocrisy and mental gymnastics displayed to convince themselves that what they own is the best is sad. Entertaining, but sad.

927 Posts
Sport, just give the mantra a rest. It’s boring.

It would, perhaps, be enlightening for those actually interested in watches to read of some of the technical comparisons and merits without the value prop BS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It is humorous to see certain members argue the merits of Rolex’s power reserves, accuracy and other technical aspects of the movement when compared to the trinity brands, but taking the exact opposite position when Rolex gets compared to GS or Omega, i.e., “who cares about movements and accuracy. That’s not what Rolex is about.” The hypocrisy and mental gymnastics displayed to convince themselves that what they own is the best is sad. Entertaining, but sad.
True and well said.

·
Premium Member
6,494 Posts
My point is that "watchmaking prowess" is immaterial. No one cares. These are status symbols for the rich. They're playful baubles for wealthy men with one job- to make us feel proud of ourselves.

Rolex, by virtue of its overwhelming recognizability as an internationally known status symbol, delivers more pride of ownership than any of these other brands could even imagine.
No one may care but it's sure pretty...

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
So what you are saying is, you don’t actually have to own a watch to make a judgement on it, right?

;)
I don't own shyt and I judge all of 'em. :p

Ask me about the watches I do own and I'm like, "Yeah, they're cool"

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
So what you are saying is, you don’t actually have to own a watch to make a judgement on it, right?

;)
that’s may be a good qualification. You need to own a watch before you can post in a particular sub-forum. Or would that be too elitist? And how’d you police it though?

anyway, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
I don't own shyt and I judge all of 'em. :p

Ask me about the watches I do own and I'm like, "Yeah, they're cool"
Well, as you and I have discussed, the often stated mantra here by the most ardent fans is that you can’t possibly judge a Rolex unless you own one, and further there are asinine demands to “prove” to these members that you own a Rolex.

Yet the most ardent fanatic here who has stated he knows little about the “trinity” brands just has to look at a web site and he is suddenly an expert on them.

Only superlative hypocrisy on this forum. (y)

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
Well, as you and I have discussed, the often stated mantra here by the most ardent fans is that you can’t possibly judge a Rolex unless you own one, and further there are asinine demands to “prove” to these members that you own a Rolex.

Yet the most ardent fanatic here who has stated he knows little about the “trinity” brands just has to look at a web site and he is suddenly an expert on them.

Only superlative hypocrisy on this forum. (y)
TBH, though, there's two very different perspectives that are both using the word "better".

And maybe it's as simple as "subjective" versus "objective", but even then, I'm not so sure.

Finishing and decoration and hand-assembly, yeah, I agree that the "trinity" brands are "better".

Reputation, recognition, and incrementally consistent evolution, I'd say Rolex is "better".

It's like... well, (I've told this story before), we gave nice watches to my parents for their wedding anniversary. Dad always likes gifts, but Mom... she saw the brand name, she didn't recognize it, so she went, "Uh... okay?" Ugh. When giving someone a present, there's a window of about three seconds when they're either gonna love it or get confused — and because this watch had no brand recognition, it flunked.

You know that meme with a guy and his girl sitting in a sidewalk café, he's showing her something on his iPad and she looks bored out of her mind? I feel like that's how we're coming across — we're stuck having to explain, almost like how James May does, the technical workbench reasons why those trinity watches are "better".

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
TBH, though, there's two very different perspectives that are both using the word "better".

And maybe it's as simple as "subjective" versus "objective", but even then, I'm not so sure.

Finishing and decoration and hand-assembly, yeah, I agree that the "trinity" brands are "better".

Reputation, recognition, and incrementally consistent evolution, I'd say Rolex is "better".

It's like... well, (I've told this story before), we gave nice watches to my parents for their wedding anniversary. Dad always likes gifts, but Mom... she saw the brand name, she didn't recognize it, so she went, "Uh... okay?" Ugh. When giving someone a present, there's a window of about three seconds when they're either gonna love it or get confused — and because this watch had no brand recognition, it flunked.

You know that meme with a guy and his girl sitting in a sidewalk café, he's showing her something on his iPad and she looks bored out of her mind? I feel like that's how we're coming across — we're stuck having to explain, almost like how James May does, the technical workbench reasons why those trinity watches are "better".
i gave my dad an Omega Constellation and a Rolex Submariner. He gave the Omega to my sister. I dont know if he even wore it. The Sub, after having it as his daily for a few years, he gave to my brother.

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
Oh, separately, about this ^^^...

I feel like this demand is often used for gatekeeping. "You can't know anything about something unless you own one." Please. And it's not always about Rolex, either, it's any watch that one person owns and the other person doesn't. I can argue, "You can't judge a Rado Diastar 'cuz you don't own one, yoo hoos," and although it sounds asinine, it's the exact same thing.

Speaking for myself, I won't comment on how a watch feels on-wrist until I get a chance to handle one at a shop (and, honestly, every Rolex I've handled felt nice and comfortable, unlike half the Omegas I've seen). Otherwise I can only go on what websites I read and which videos I watch, and that's not much different from buying car magazines and watching Top Gear (RIP).

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
i gave my dad an Omega Constellation and a Rolex Submariner. He gave the Omega to my sister. I dont know if he even wore it. The Sub, after having it as his daily for a few years, he gave to my brother.
See, at least my parents would know Omega (that was the watch Mom bought for Dad after they were married), and they'd certainly know Rolex, too. Compared to what we bought her, Mom would've been happier with a friggin' Seiko.

381 - 400 of 606 Posts