WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

401 - 420 of 606 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Oh, separately, about this ^^^...

I feel like this demand is often used for gatekeeping. "You can't know anything about something unless you own one." Please. And it's not always about Rolex, either, it's any watch that one person owns and the other person doesn't. I can argue, "You can't judge a Rado Diastar 'cuz you don't own one, yoo hoos," and although it sounds asinine, it's the exact same thing.

Speaking for myself, I won't comment on how a watch feels on-wrist until I get a chance to handle one at a shop (and, honestly, every Rolex I've handled felt nice and comfortable, unlike half the Omegas I've seen). Otherwise I can only go on what websites I read and which videos I watch, and that's not much different from buying car magazines and watching Top Gear (RIP).
am reminded of a class in college. The topic was the Pepsi challenge (the drink, not the Rolex). For some reason, Pepsi always wins these taste tests yet the market still goes Coke’s way.

then one posited the theory that while Pepsi may be better than Coke on the basis of a sip, in terms of long term drinking (through whatever occasion, different kinds of meals, etc), it may be the case that Coke is better.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
am reminded of a class in college. The topic was the Pepsi challenge (the drink, not the Rolex). For some reason, Pepsi always wins these taste tests yet the market still goes Coke’s way.

then one posited the theory that while Pepsi may be better than Coke on the basis of a sip, in terms of long term drinking (through whatever occasion, different kinds of meals, etc), it may be the case that Coke is better.
I remember hearing that, too, and one suggestion was that Coke had a cleaner finish (to borrow a sommelier's term) with less aftertaste to get in the way of your food.

I frankly didn't care — I was all about Mountain Dew and Squirt — and I'll put as much weight on the marketing deals that Coke made with restaurant chains and whatnot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
TBH, though, there's two very different perspectives that are both using the word "better".

And maybe it's as simple as "subjective" versus "objective", but even then, I'm not so sure.

Finishing and decoration and hand-assembly, yeah, I agree that the "trinity" brands are "better".

Reputation, recognition, and incrementally consistent evolution, I'd say Rolex is "better".

It's like... well, (I've told this story before), we gave nice watches to my parents for their wedding anniversary. Dad always likes gifts, but Mom... she saw the brand name, she didn't recognize it, so she went, "Uh... okay?" Ugh. When giving someone a present, there's a window of about three seconds when they're either gonna love it or get confused — and because this watch had no brand recognition, it flunked.

You know that meme with a guy and his girl sitting in a sidewalk café, he's showing her something on his iPad and she looks bored out of her mind? I feel like that's how we're coming across — we're stuck having to explain, almost like how James May does, the technical workbench reasons why those trinity watches are "better".
My mom would be happy if I gave her a Camaro versus giving her a Pagani, but what does she know? The Pagani is still a nicer car. Actually, scratch that, she's never happy with any gift she's ever gotten from anyone. Ever. Lol

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,811 Posts
My mom would be happy if I gave her a Camaro versus giving her a Pagani, but what does she know? The Pagani is still a nicer car. Actually, scratch that, she's never happy with any gift she's ever gotten from anyone. Ever. Lol
We've damned near given up on expecting Mom to enjoy a gift. The most infamous one was when she realized she enjoyed eating sushi, so my sister found a home sushi kit — knife, cutting board, bamboo rolling mat, etc. Mom said, "I'm sorry, I just like eating sushi, I don't want to try making it"

·
Registered
443 Posts
We've damned near given up on expecting Mom to enjoy a gift. The most infamous one was when she realized she enjoyed eating sushi, so my sister found a home sushi kit — knife, cutting board, bamboo rolling mat, etc. Mom said, "I'm sorry, I just like eating sushi, I don't want to try making it"
Hahaha! I feel your pain. Mine always looks perplexed, indifferent, or disappointed and then asks if I kept the receipt without first giving me so much as a thank you. That happens even if it's something she's said she wants in the recent past or something that most people would be pretty happy to get. Then she'll realize she forgot her manners and grant me a half-hearted courtesy "thank you" afterwards. She's on a strict gift card/cash and nice dinner out policy now for her birthday and holidays.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
So what you are saying is, you don’t actually have to own a watch to make a judgement on it, right?

;)
No, what I'm saying is that the brands themselves aren't hiding the fact that they are selling watches that are more expensive than Rolex yet have substandard performance characteristics.

What Rolex can achieve when it comes to accuracy, durability, precision, depth ratings, and design is a testament to their ability to take risks and it is paying off handsomely for their brand and their consumers.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
You may not care, but plenty of watch collectors do.
There is exactly 1 of you for every 1,000,000 of us so, no, no one cares.

We don't think about watch movements unless our watches are running poorly. How shiny the bits of metal are doesn't matter. We expect a watch costing five-figures to keep good time. And they do.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
Sporty, give the trinity a chance. I guarantee you will love them. As robust and nice to wear as any sports Rolex.
Thanks Pong. If I wanted one, I would own one. Money is not the problem.

I don't like the way they look. These are old designs. And not in a "classic" way, not in a "vintage" way. They look dated.

And even if I did, I would give them very little wrist time because I am thoroughly enjoying being a Rolex celebrity.

Reactions: Pongster

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
great attitude. It means there will be a moment in the future when it will be in range. Good luck.

when i started collecting in 2006, i didnt think j would own the watches I have now.
and I must say you have an impressive collection. Very diverse too!

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
Yet the most ardent fanatic here who has stated he knows little about the “trinity” brands just has to look at a web site and he is suddenly an expert on them.
That's exactly right. Because all watches at these pricepoints are the same and share the same objective. High quality, high price, high status.

Besides price, the things that differentiate them are performance-based, and all the performance criteria is spelled out in black and white on the brand's websites.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's exactly right. Because all watches at these pricepoints are the same and share the same objective. High quality, high price, high status.

Besides price, the things that differentiate them are performance-based, and all the performance criteria is spelled out in black and white on the brand's websites.
I would agree but would also say that while some may prefer a performance based watch, others may prefer a more complicated and finessed timepiece.

Thus it depends on who would like which watch and for what particular purpose.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its his shtick, he gets his jollies from it and tbh all of you are arguing with him in bad faith. Hes here to troll and show off. Nothing more.
Obviously. I realized it was a comedy routine or troll job fairly early into it. I just like running him around in circles as he probably does me. It's entertaining hearing him talk out of both sides of his mouth and spout ridiculous hyperbole.

·
Registered
443 Posts
No, what I'm saying is that the brands themselves aren't hiding the fact that they are selling watches that are more expensive than Rolex yet have substandard performance characteristics.

What Rolex can achieve when it comes to accuracy, durability, precision, depth ratings, and design is a testament to their ability to take risks and it is paying off handsomely for their brand and their consumers.
Yes, Rolex, the brand synonymous with risk taking! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 You're clutching at straws for more comedic material.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Reactions: SinCity

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Is being a Rolex celebrity the next big thing?
Meaning being someone Rolex didn’t find important enough to sell a watch to? deeply impressing people at the fast food joint? Then no, I don’t think that’s a new thing.

Some people hope a watch will rub some status onto them, some people add some status to their watch. Paul Newman.

Reactions: SinCity

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Meaning being someone Rolex didn’t find important enough to sell a watch to? deeply impressing people at the fast food joint? Then no, I don’t think that’s a new thing.

Some people hope a watch will rub some status onto them, some people add some status to their watch. Paul Newman.
is that what a Rolex celebrity is?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Reactions: Jaguarshark
401 - 420 of 606 Posts