WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no such thing I hear you all exclaim!

Well, of course there isn't.

Watches are for many of us here, much more than simple tools.

Some still prefer function over form, some focus on pure classic beauty, (which we all behold differently anyway!), some focus on their own perception of value for money, some want a statement piece or a brand name to send a message...

It goes on. and on...

It doesn't matter, - as by virtue of the fact that you are even here, the one thing we all have in common is an interest, love, passion, obsession (choose which applies to you), for watches, timekeeping, horology or all of them.

This thread is for you to post what YOU think makes the perfect watch FOR YOU!

It doesn't even have to be a real watch. (In fact, probably better if it isn't, as this would just become another grail thread).

Tell us what it may look like, feel like, what features it may have, emotions it may evoke, and even what the brand means to you. (It doesn't have to have a brand, but if that matters to you - include it).

There are no rules or limitations, there is no wrong or right here, and I expect a variety of different responses ranging from pure fantasy to classic basic timekeepers.

Pictures are welcomed, as are sketches and photo manipulation to get your message across.

As an added bonus, we may even get to know a little bit more about each other.

Who knows, maybe a benevolent watch manufacturer may look at this thread for some ideas and end up actually building your watch, for you!

Go for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For me, is my daily wear, Explorer, not perfect of course, but damn close.

Edit: Sorry, just realised it is the features we are discussing. Then, I believe it is the ruggedness, versatility and elegance make a perfect watch.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
The perfect watch is what I like at that moment. Which can change moment by moment. That's just the nature of subjective desire, whether it is the perfect food, person, looks, car, phone, pants, watch.

If you're talking quantitative, it's probably my Samsung S10 as it is the most accurate (and regularly calibrates itself) and has many complications like a moonphase, worldtimer (that can do DST!), calculator, slide rule, perpetual calendar, alarm, etc. I can also go on the internets on it too.

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll start.

I actually found this exercise extremely difficult as I like such a diverse range of styles, and I expect that I will change my mind a number of times, when I see what others post!

I started my watch journey, with an early LED digital which planted an obsession for accuracy.

I needed to know that the minute was going to change over at EXACTLY the right time and cost my parents a small fortune calling 1194 (I think that was the number?), multiple times a day, and tuning into the radio to hear the hourly beeps, to make sure it was spot on.

So for me, the number one requirement would be effortless accuracy.

I then started to want to do more with my watches.

I couldn't remember the date, so a watch needed to display that. (And a perpetual calendar is mandatory)

I wanted to know when the school bell was going to ring, so learning the pattern, and the schedule and setting an alarm to remind me mattered.

This then evolved into needing an hourly chime, to keep me on track, and a chronograph to monitor the length of the period.

Of course, a countdown timer did this better, so I needed one of those as well.

Then, Seiko opened my eyes to the rest of the world, with their world timer, so I needed to instantly know the time in Athens, New York and Perth because - don't we all?

Of course, once that happened, I needed it to also track all the DST periods, and have an alarm that could be set independently for each time zone.

Because I needed to know all this information ANY time at all, the watch also needed enough water and shock resistance, and a light or lume, such that I never had to take it off.

As I got a little older, my needs changed a little and aesthetics began to matter more and more, so I wanted a watch that also looked good while doing all of the above.

I also developed more of an interest in minimalist design, so the clutter of a complex digital display gave way to a simpler, cleaner layout.

In terms of the case and size, I'm small wristed, so large watches don't do it for me.

Around 36 - 40mm diameter is preferred, and yes, it has to be round, and will have minimal bezel, so the dial is accentuated.

For flexibility, so that it can double as jewellery, it will also be made in precious metal, probably gold, or rose gold.

The dial was probably the hardest part as I couldn't settle on a single colour. If I had to, it would be white, or off-white, and ideally have colour variations somewhat with light, so maybe an opaque, or crystalline finish of some sort. (Mother of pearl is too much for me).

There will also be some depth in the dial, maybe with sunken sub-dials of a different colour or shade, (Multi-colour like zenith appeals) and some texture in the finish.

The indices will be subtle faceted applied batons, probably gold to match the case, no large numerals, the seconds/minutes track will be subtly in the rehaut, and the hands will be blued for legibility, and of simple design with a different colour, (probably red or orange), for sub-dial hands.

It will permanently display the day and date, (I think I can remember the month and year), and these will be together at 3, or day under the 12 and date at 6 for balance.

A sweep second hand will also be included, and will have a nicely designed counter balance and or interesting design of it's own. (I like what Rolex have done with the Milgauss).

On that point, the crystal will be anti-reflective, and offer a hue of it's own as I like a splash of colour.

It should also have a method to allow quick and easy strap or bracelet changes to change the aesthetic from casual to formal.

A display back, showing a beautifully decorated movement, just for me, would also be required and never needs winding or batteries.

Reading that all back, it really sounds like a bit of an impossible mess!

In summary, I want a classic three hander, with some primary colour highlights, chronograph subdials, day-date, a stealth digital display, a complex automatic movement with perpetual motion capability and automatic synching, (or ridiculous accuracy), and, and....

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

EDIT:

Things I left out that other posters reminded me of:
It should be impossibly thin <10mm
It should have enough heft so that I know it’s there, but not so that I can’t lift my arm and lean to one side while wearing it.
It should have investment grade value retention.
It should have guaranteed parts availability for hundreds of years so it can be passed on through generations and kept running.
More to come.

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
36-39mm
Manual wind
No date
No dome crystal
No screw down crown
Clear caseback
Under $500
<12mm thick
Matte dial
Indestructible
Waterproof up to 1 mile
Can shoot fricken lasers
GMT
Always on display
GPS
Heart rate monitor
I forgot these!

Under $500 - This is one I struggled with. Although, I want it to be cheap, I also want a luxury item, which by it's own definition, defies value for money principles and is a statement of achievement.
<10mm thick - Totally. It must be as thin as possible, and with just enough heft to know it's there, but not for me to have to drag my knuckles on the ground.
Can shoot fricken lasers - Absolute bonus!

GPS
Heart rate monitor

- Very practical - so that it knows you are still functioning, and if not, sends a signal for help!

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The perfect watch is what I like at that moment. Which can change moment by moment. That's just the nature of subjective desire, whether it is the perfect food, person, looks, car, phone, pants, watch.

If you're talking quantitative, it's probably my Samsung S10 as it is the most accurate (and regularly calibrates itself) and has many complications like a moonphase, worldtimer (that can do DST!), calculator, slide rule, perpetual calendar, alarm, etc. I can also go on the internets on it too.
Very true.

You can be quantitative, qualitative or just fantasise...

·
Registered
50 Posts
36-39mm
Manual wind
No date
No dome crystal
No screw down crown
Clear caseback
Under $500
<12mm thick
Matte dial
Indestructible
Waterproof up to 1 mile
Can shoot fricken lasers
GMT
Always on display
GPS
Heart rate monitor
I forgot these!

Under $500 - This is one I struggled with. Although, I want it to be cheap, I also want a luxury item, which by it's own definition, defies value for money principles and is a statement of achievement.
<10mm thick - Totally. It must be as thin as possible, and with just enough heft to know it's there, but not for me to have to drag my knuckles on the ground.

GPS
Heart rate monitor

- Very practical - so that it knows you are still functioning, and if not, sends a signal for help!
I'm glad you have a sense of humor! 🙂 Cheers mate.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Citizen Chronomaster
Citizen-Chronomaster-Gear-Patrol-Lead-Full.jpg
Solar powered, 5s a day, perfect dial

only problem...it's not available in North America

Reactions: mich.g.pan

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For me, is my daily wear, Explorer, not perfect of course, but damn close.

Edit: Sorry, just realised it is the features we are discussing. Then, I believe it is the ruggedness, versatility and elegance make a perfect watch.
Doesn’t have to be features based. You can base your choice on any criteria you prefer.

Only you know what’s important to you, so use that criteria.

^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
I wish I was as easy to please as you are!

The likelyhood of me EVER being a one watch person is minimal, and becoming less and less likely the longer I keep frequenting WUS...

Caliber No. A060 
± 5 seconds / year accuracy
High precision eco-drive
White Dial
Super titanium Duratect Case 
Titanium band
White plating surface treatment
Dual spherical sapphire glass (99% Clarity coating) 
Three fold - one push type clasp 
Screw Lock Crown
Second Hand Stop Function
Date Correction Function
10 Bar water resistant
Calendar Update Function
Perpetual Calendar (until February 28, 2100)
Charge Level Display Function
Charge Warning Function
Overcharge Protection Function
Impact Detection Function
Automatic Needle Correction Function 
Allergy-resistant allergy
Anti-Magnetic
Night light function
20.0 mm Width
88 gram weight
38.4 mm x 12.5 mm Case size

How's that easy to please?
that watch has EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Caliber No. A060 
± 5 seconds / year accuracy
High precision eco-drive
White Dial
Super titanium Duratect Case 
Titanium band
White plating surface treatment
Dual spherical sapphire glass (99% Clarity coating) 
Three fold - one push type clasp 
Screw Lock Crown
Second Hand Stop Function
Date Correction Function
10 Bar water resistant
Calendar Update Function
Perpetual Calendar (until February 28, 2100)
Charge Level Display Function
Charge Warning Function
Overcharge Protection Function
Impact Detection Function
Automatic Needle Correction Function 
Allergy-resistant allergy
Anti-Magnetic
Night light function
20.0 mm Width
88 gram weight
38.4 mm x 12.5 mm Case size

How's that easy to please?
that watch has EVERYTHING!
Lol.
I see what you mean.

It ticks a lot of my boxes as well. (Except some of the more unrealistic, or unreasonable ones...)

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Too long to type but they look like this . . . they'd be more but then I might as well type, either way way too long

Attachments

Reactions: Black5

·
Premium Member
29,376 Posts
I forgot these!
::
::
GPS
Heart rate monitor
Must have camera function,
Must have voice recording,
Must have emergency safety beacon,
And...
Turning the bezel will set countdown timer for the C4 explosive hidden in the bracelet which allows me to break open chains and locks (in case I am imprisoned by a mad man)

·
Registered
118 Posts
The more I wear the Speedmaster, I think the more I feel it's close to a perfect watch. It can be worn in all occasions and has all the things I look for.

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Must have camera function,
Must have voice recording,
Must have emergency safety beacon,
And...
Turning the bezel will set countdown timer for the C4 explosive hidden in the bracelet which allows me to break open chains and locks (in case I am imprisoned by a mad man)
But wouldn't deploying the C4 destroy the watch?

If I ever found the perfect watch, I might choose to just put up with the madman rather than lose it...

·
Registered
15,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 95 Posts