WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my new baby a week now - following the deliberations in this thread. My previous Rolex has a jubilee bracelet but my new GMT-Master II has the ultra-shiny Oyster and I'm wondering how best to clean it? Good old soap and water, a quick blast in the shower or a polishing cloth - what would you guys recommend?

Cheers,

JGX

·
Registered
818 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase! The GMTIIc is an amazing watch!

I've read on WUS about people using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for watch bracelets. The general rule people say is to remove the watch head and only put the bracelet in... I personally use a children's toothbrush with warm water and a little dish soap. Being a children's toothbrush, it's soft and won't scratch up the polished part of the bracelet links.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase! The GMTIIc is an amazing watch!

I've read on WUS about people using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for watch bracelets. The general rule people say is to remove the watch head and only put the bracelet in... I personally use a children's toothbrush with warm water and a little dish soap. Being a children's toothbrush, it's soft and won't scratch up the polished part of the bracelet links.
I agree. I've found that an extra-soft baby's toothbrush is the perfect implement, combined with some liquid soap and warm (not hot) water, to clean up almost any bracelet. Jubilee bracelets are the exception: if you wear it every day (and it's not one of the newer ones with solid center links), it has to be removed and placed in the ultrasound bath about twice a year to get all of the awful nasties that hide therein.

As for polishing a GMT IIc, a Scotch-Brite pad for the brushed areas and Cape Cod cloth for the polished areas should do quite well. Just remember to tape up the parts you are not working on. If you're like me, however, you will covet the scratches and marks of wear on your Rolex ... not only added character but memories of shared experiences (even if that "experience" is forgetting how far out into the kitchen the refrigerator door handle protrudes ;-)).

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
i shower with my sub on. some say it's bad, but i've never had a problem with any of my watches doing that. and i do my regular service intervals. last one i had, i asked about the seals and was told that they were great. had them replaced anyways.

Best Regards,

Matte

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Follow the instructions in the Rolex paperwork that came w/ your watch..........wash in lukewarm water (no mention of type of soap, I use liquid hand soap, Ivory brand), using soft brush on bracelet, case & crown. No mention of what to dry w/, I use my bath towel, 100% cotton.
P.S. I shine up my SS watches w/ Brasso, I use Hagerty's liquid polish on my YG watch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i shower with my sub on. some say it's bad, but i've never had a problem with any of my watches doing that. and i do my regular service intervals. last one i had, i asked about the seals and was told that they were great. had them replaced anyways.

Best Regards,

Matte
Uhhhh, is Not good as You gonna get a lot of Soap buildup under the bezel.

Apart from the great tips given, Vereat Watchspray is good and Cape Cod Cloths for polishing these minor scratches out|>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Uhhhh, is Not good as You gonna get a lot of Soap buildup under the bezel.

Apart from the great tips given, Vereat Watchspray is good and Cape Cod Cloths for polishing these minor scratches out|>
+1 on Veraet. Veraet and a nice microfiber and your watch will stay clean and gleaming. I use Mother's Aluminum mag and wheel cleaner for scratches. It's considerably less abrasive than a Cape Cod cloth and less costly to boot.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
For day to day cleaning I just wipe it over with one of the cloths people use for cleaning their spectacles. Keeps the smears at bay. Once in a while it gets a clean in warm soapy water with a soft kids' toothbrush and a dry with a towel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Veraet tip. I've ordered some (the $15.49 shipping to the UK was a bit steep - more than the cost of the product) but if it's as good as you guys say, it'll be worth it!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the Veraet tip. I've ordered some (the $15.49 shipping to the UK was a bit steep - more than the cost of the product) but if it's as good as you guys say, it'll be worth it!!
Good on Ya, I know, the same with the Shippingcost to NZ...not cheapo|

Let us know how You find it:-!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I've had my new baby a week now - following the deliberations in this thread. My previous Rolex has a jubilee bracelet but my new GMT-Master II has the ultra-shiny Oyster and I'm wondering how best to clean it? Good old soap and water, a quick blast in the shower or a polishing cloth - what would you guys recommend?

Cheers,

JGX
We were Downtown yesterday and my Wife wanted to visit a Swarovski Boutique... one of the SA was handling crystals with white cotton gloves. I asked if they sell them here and they do, $7.00 for a pair but wish it was labelled Rolex and not Swarovshi... better than nothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts