WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WUSers,

I've been on a roller coaster ride over the past year- having sold and bought, but never quite finding the one. For a long time I ignored the 114300 as being too plain for the $. Also, the Omega Master Chronometer and Master Coaxials lured me away- but last week I happened to try on the Rhodium OP 39mm again and haven't been able to get it out of my mind. It is simple. It is understated. It is seemingly spot on.

Before moving fwd with a purchase, I'd appreciate your thoughts and any owner's experiences. Any regrets? How does the clasp hold up? Does the lack of an extension bother you? Views on the watch as a keeper?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I like mine.. it's the red grape version. It's my main watch these days.. sort of taken over from my seamaster 300 MC Ti. No regrets so far but i am not too sure how I will feel when the Datejust 41 is introduced with a steel jubilee bracelet. I must be a bit strange because I have never been that attracted to Rolex sports models except perhaps the GMT Root Beer which is still on my mind!

Too many watches out there !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had a blue dial 114300 because I always just seem to have black dial watches. When deciding between the Explorer I, Aqua Terra, and OP, I easily went with the OP, but ultimately sold it because no matter what my sub seems to get all my wrist time. It was a great all around watch that could be dressed up or down

Reactions: Rusty427

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Personally I like the new Explorer 1 better, I would like on someday, the OP seems too dressy for me. And for me that's the drawback. I could see other's calling it plain, or lacking in reputation of adventure like the other tool watches (sub, gmt, explorers, Daytona, etc...), but for me it comes down to I'm just too casual. I think it's beautiful, but so is modern furniture, but I don't have it in my house. So if you are better dressed than at least me, and won't get Harley Sportster syndrome, it should be a great watch for you!

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Buy one already! I would purchase one myself, especially with the rhodium dial, if I don't already own a Rolex Explorer and a Rolex Submariner.

I still might end up with one in the future (who knows).

Pictures from the Internet:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I coveted the 39mm Oyster Perpetual based on photos ever since it's launch, especially in blue (though I don't love the green hour markers). I saw the watch as a step up from my Tudor Style and the logical entry point to Rolex ownership.

However when I tried it on, the watch didn't do it for me. For the money, it simply didn't feel special enough (dare I say, my Tudor outshone it, and it has a date window to boot!) Funnily enough, it was the grey dialled version in person that I preferred out of all of them, not the blue. My eye was drawn instead to the Yacht-Master with rhodium dial, which I also tried on, and it DID feel special.

So, no 39mm OP for me. I'll see if the Datejust 41 stainless steel makes an appearance at Baselworld 2017....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback! It all sort of comes down to a value proposition, whether $ or sentiment, doesn't it? I've been toying with the whole "one watch" guy notion recently and that's a niche where, I think, the new Explorer I fits well. I've had the ExpII and don't particularly like the Sub as an "all-arounder"...don't get me wrong, the Sub is a work of art (form and function), but not what I'm going for. So, my idea is to look at the OP as work wearer and my SM 300 (Master Coaxial) for fun OR ditch the SM 300 and go all-in on the new Explorer I? I think I'm leaning towards the former...but it's great to be able to talk it our here with friends!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I could see other's calling it plain, or lacking in reputation of adventure like the other tool watches (sub, gmt, explorers, Daytona, etc...)
Lolwut...? The OP is in the DNA of every Rolex tool watch... it's been around since the 1930s in some iteration or another and is the watch Sir Edmund Hillary wore and/or carried to the top of Everest... not the Explorer.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Lolwut...? The OP ....<snip>.... is the watch Sir Edmund Hillary wore and/or carried to the top of Everest... not the Explorer.
Supposedly Hillary wore a Smiths watch and Norgay wore a gold Rolex DateJust.

·
Registered
860 Posts
After about one year of ownership and wearing it almost every day I can say I still enjoy mine. I hope they start offering more dial options for the wanting the watch but are held back by the colorful hour markers. While I like the way it looks I think they could easily do without them. It's lived up to the +/- two seconds Rolex claims and established itself as the most accurate mechanical watch I've ever owned. My watch has maintained between 1.5-2 seconds fast per day.

Blue in car.JPG

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Personally , I like the 114300 a lot and almost bought one. The only hang up I have is that at 39mm it's basically an Explorer....but not as cool. In my personal opinion. I looked at both and purchased this:

FullSizeRender-441.jpg
FullSizeRender-372.jpg
FullSizeRender-442.jpg

·
Registered
373 Posts
I love it in photos but it didn't impress me in the metall.

Its a watch that I love to look at but wouldn't buy myself.

Just my personal opinion

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Personally, I prefer either the better-proportioned 116000 OP, which does the simpler/understated thing better, or — if it has to be 39 mm — the 214270 Explorer.

The 114300 is still a pretty decent watch, though.

By the way, the current OP clasps are sublime, and are my favourite for wearing among Rolex's current models. They stay closed very securely and are slimmer than the bulkier Oysterlock version on much of the sports range. In my experience, the lack of an extension link isn't a big deal, but I've mostly worn them in temperate climates. If you find that you want the extra 5 mm as an option, it's possible to source an extension link separately.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I've tried one on at an AD and to me it seems rather plain and a bit boring but that's just my opinion, I'm sure other members would appreciate the simplicity of the watch, for the same money I guess the Omega AT offers more zing. If it were me I would get the DJ II 116300 in blue dial

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well I sold my DJ II with blue dial and got OP with grey dial. OP looks so much better proportioned and is way more comfortable for my wrist. If this is the style of the watch you are looking for, then this is the best option in my opinion. The build quality is top and is great value for the price. Just make sure that the AD does not resize the bracelet for you :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Well I sold my DJ II with blue dial and got OP with grey dial. OP looks so much better proportioned and is way more comfortable for my wrist. If this is the style of the watch you are looking for, then this is the best option in my opinion. The build quality is top and is great value for the price. Just make sure that the AD does not resize the bracelet for you :)

Hah you are the exact opposite of me, I prefer the DJ II especially in blue dial

1 - 20 of 39 Posts