WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has ever done this: Is this worth the hassle with duties, customs, paperwork, additional steps? Is there anything I should be weary of? Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've sent a lot of Leica stuff there without problem. It's usually the receiver that will have the problem with customs delays if there are any. Sometimes you can get a significantly higher price for your item by selling in europe due to the exchange rate.

I wouldn't send anything to the FSU or any of its former satellites, though.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks thats helpful. It would be Netherlands. Which is obviously a major country. I am interested more about your idea on the exchange rate. If I would sell something for $1 USD here domestically, you mean I could get closer to $1.50 for the item in EUR? (due to the exchange rate?)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would not mind shipping to overseas if the payment is made not made using paypal and buyer pays full cost of shipping inc. insurance.

I just do not want to be responsible once the watch gets shipped to another countries other than US since I am not fully comfortable how other countries custom and mail system works.

Its up to the buyers from over seas to take chance once he pays for any item.

so far I had 5 transactions with over seas buyers , 3 went bad saying they never received the item and 2 did received theirs.

Paypal took side with buyer on the first bad deal, since than any sales made over seas, I do not use paypal when selling over seas customer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks thats helpful. It would be Netherlands. Which is obviously a major country. I am interested more about your idea on the exchange rate. If I would sell something for $1 USD here domestically, you mean I could get closer to $1.50 for the item in EUR? (due to the exchange rate?)
I did sell a lens to someone in the Netherlands last year. He wound up paying an extra $175 in duties on top of the price. That kind of detail is fully the buyer's responsibility as are all other shipping and tax issues.

The exchange rate advantage only works with ebay. Overseas buyers bid higher than local when the exchange rate is in their favor. For sale ads with fixed prices fetch one price no matter where the buyer is located.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. So best ways to get paid on a transaction like this? (Sounds like PayPal is NOT the way to go.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Huh? Exchange rate means if you sell something for a buck, you get a buck. if you use PayPal they makes the buyer pay 3.5% over the going rate so he ends up paying a little more, but you still get just a buck. Insist on insurance so you have delivery conformation and use PayPal.

Today's exchange rate is
1 U.S. dollar = 0.702345835 Euros

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've used paypal many times and not been burned, but maybe I'm just lucky. I had one guy in Germany send me cash through the mail after I told him not to (I did receive it, mirabile dictu).

I've only been burned one time when I sent to Moscow(a trade), and my friend who is russian got burned big time by a chap in the Ukraine.

If you're worried about using paypal, ask the guy for references of deals he's made with people in the USA.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you are a seller, I don't see a problem. Import duties, taxes etc are on buyer. Normally if you ship via DHL or Fedex, they also can act a customs brokers and do customs clerance on behalf of buyer. As a seller you get your money before shipping out, so I would not worry about other party.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts