WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of these posts... My current grail watch is the Seiko Marine Master 300. I just discovered, however, the Sinn U1, being sold at a similar price point. I know the obvious differences between the two, namely the depth ratings of 300 m vs. 1000 m. But how do the mechanisms of thw two compare in terms of accuracy? The Seiko uses the 8L35, which is thr undecorated version of the Grand Seiko mechansim. How is the Sinn's. Any other points of comparison would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
607 Posts
The seiko has a better movement and much more history.

Quality wise they are both excellent with totally different looks. Tool vs dressy diver.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I can't answer your question because there are no pictures! I will have to look up the Sinn to see how it compares.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I love the Seiko Marinemaster 300m, the finish and quality is at par with any high end Swiss watch that I have handled.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the Seiko Marinemaster 300m, the finish and quality is at par with any high end Swiss watch that I have handled.
Yeah it looks great.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here I'll post them. The Seiko looks like its trying to be something other than a Seiko to me.
Thanks for posting them. I was going to when I got back to my computer.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I like them both but they apart from being dive watches they are two very different watches.
The U1 is a pure tool watch, I had the Sinn U1 on the top grade ETA 2824 and it kept very good timing (+/- 5 secs). The new models are on the SW-200 movement which should perform likewise.
The 8L35 is comparable spec wise but I would consider the limited servicing avenues available for it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
8L35 v SW200 is a win for Seiko.
Tegimented case is a win for Sinn.

My suggestion, if you actually want to use it for diving, or during other manual work, get the Sinn since you're paying more for the case hardening. If it's gong to be a pampered desk diver, get the Seiko, since it has a better movement and actually looks more like the relatively expensive watch that it is.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Ok I read some reviews and I like the Seiko much better! The Tegimented steel can still scratch and the Seiko's lume and bezel are much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
if i asked my grandfather who fought in WW2 he would grumble at the choice. as for the choice, i would say i would pick between the aesthetics. whichever is more pleasing to your eye. i like the idea of a smaller manufacturer in Sinn. but both are probably well made.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if i asked my grandfather was fought in WW2 he would grumble at the choice. as for the choice, i would say i would pick between the aesthetics. whichever is more pleasing to your eye. i like the idea of a smaller manufacturer in Sinn. but both are probably well made.
ROFL ... almost spit out my drink.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The Seiko may be a better watch in some categories, but I think is just for hardcore fans of the brand, the Sinn is just more special overall, and would be my choice especially for a $2K watch.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I almost bought the Sinn but couldn't warm up to the block hands. Both are fine, well built watches, that keep good time. Aesthetically speaking, I would choose the Marine Master.
Sinn U1 with Sinn U2 Hands FTW!

However, Seiko wins this bout. Superior movement and looks.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm a Sinn U1 owner. I was at a WUS gathering and was excited to see someone with an MM 300. I tried it on and was very underwhelmed. While technically it's the same size, the thick bezel and chapter ring made the face look very small.

Bob

1 - 20 of 50 Posts