WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'd like your opinion on something although I've already made my decision.

I'm new to Zentih but I really love the brand and the style. I just recently got the Chronomaster GT El Primero in yellow gold with a brown strap and that watch is sensational. I haven't taken it off since I got it!

For Christmas my wife has put aside at an AD the Grand Class El Primero in Rose Gold with a shiny black strap. It's also a limited edition of 250 pieces.

I love the chronomaster so much I've been thinking about switching this watch out for the Chronomaster Grand Date in Red Gold and the AD says she'd be willing to do it. The thing I worry about is that I already have a chronomaster and maybe it would be redundant. But this one is 45mm as compared to 42mm; it's red gold not yellow and it has a black strap not brown. What do you think? Which would you choose? Oh Yeah, the chronomaster is aboyut $4K more money as well.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I would say that redundant is in the mind of the beholder, especially if you are shelling out the bucks. If it looks good to you, I would go ahead and do it. As much as I like rose gold, I figure a person always needs a watch with a moonphase (the GT, right?). I would hold on to that one and get the other one.;-)

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan,

I reread my post and I think I was a little confusing. I got the GT Moonohase in yellow gold and that's a keeper.

I'm trying to decide to I keep the Grand Class El Primero in red gold that my wife has on hold for me at the AD or switch it to the Chronomaster Grand Date in Rose Gold. If I do that I'll have 2 chronomasters so I was wondering if that was one too many and maybe I should go for the Grande Class and not the Chronomaster. My wife and the AD are O.K. if I want to switch to the Chronomaster so it's up to me. Like I said it's just some more money to do that.

Maybe I confused it even more?

Tom

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,183 Posts
I believe the limited edition watch you're interested in is this one?!

http://www.wortmann-uhren.com/de-uhren_details-grande_class_el_primero_zenith-386.shtml

IMO, regarding limited editions, most of them are not worth the cash. Anything that only differs from the standard with respect to a slightly different dial or case metal or similar generally doesn't impress me and the market supports that opinion since the value generally doesn't rise but struggles to kep up with the original purchase price (except for maybe a hard core of fans, in which case you may have a severe problem trying to find one when wanting to sell the thing). If you like the watch, fine, but I would advise against getting it for the "limited edition specialness" or for thinking of selling it later at a profit.

That's Point 1. The next point is that the ChronoMaster GT has a moonphase and the ChronoMaster Grande Date has a large date feature. The Class has nothing other than the standard EP features (minus hour totalizer) and the "limited edition" thing. It also lacks the chronograph subsecond markings which would put me off. On the other hand, it's cheaper!

So, take your pick! But before you do, maybe it might be worth looking at some more watches?! For that cash, I am sure you would easily get an Elite - perhaps with an additional feature (second time zone, power reserve display) if the ordinary "three hands plus date automatic" version is too boring for you?! Or a vintage (for the truly exotic, try finding a Chronograph with Excelsior Park movement with central second time zone/North indicator)?

Best of luck!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Hartmut

You were right about the watch I was looking at; that's the one.

Thanks for the feedback on the special edition status and I hadn't really thought of that before. I did in fact think about the lack of subsecond markers and I didn't like that either.

I'm leaning toward the Chronomaster since I like the design better than the Elite but it's something to consider and I'll check it out.

Thanks for your comments Hartmut; I apprecite it and I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Tom

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Well, I like the rose gold GD. ;-)

Hartmut makes a good point on getting the limited edition. I once did buy a LE Omega that uses the current Broad Arrow movement, but in handwind configuration. Looks like a vintage watch and as hard to read as well!

But I like it and do not mind it at all. It is a charm to use, even if I can't read the time unless I have my glasses on. I would lose my rear end were I to sell it, but sometimes it is about liking what you wear and not the money involved, you know?

FWIW, it is a SS model and I would lose perhaps 500 on something I paid 2300 for. I think I actually gave less for my BA, but neither bothers me as I like both.

I think that is the thing to keep in mind. Which one do I want on my wrist?

Take care,

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this. I too like the GD better. The AD is bringing it in so I'll be able to see it in the flesh in the next couple of days; that should cinch it for me.

Isn't it always about what you want to wear!

Best,

Tom

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this. I too like the GD better. The AD is bringing it in so I'll be able to see it in the flesh in the next couple of days; that should cinch it for me.

Isn't it always about what you want to wear!

Best,

Tom
It truly comes down to what you want to wear and what you can afford. At some point, it is refreshing to have limited funds as it makes you think harder on what you want! ;-)

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to close the loop, I got the Chrononmaster Grande date in Red Gold and I love that one as well. The Zenith Brand just keeps growing on me which isn't too good for my bank account!

Best,

Tom

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,183 Posts
Congratulations on your choice! It's the one I would have had as well - and the one I would choose given a much larger range of modern Zeniths to pick from too!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Just to close the loop, I got the Chrononmaster Grande date in Red Gold and I love that one as well. The Zenith Brand just keeps growing on me which isn't too good for my bank account!

Best,

Tom
Congrats Tom!

Wear it in good health and be sure to post pictures when you can!

:-!

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dan and Hartmut; I appreciate your thoughts and the fine job you do on this Forum. You make it both fun and interesting to participate and I always look forward to your comments.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!!!!b-)

All the Best,

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts