WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your vintage pocket watches here with a little but about them!

I have three solid runners that keep good time, but the most important of them is the Waltham. It has been in the family since new and passed down the line, and I am the fifth in that line. It's really what started my interest in older pocket watches, and will be passed on someday

The others were yardsale/eBay acquisitions, but after a quick cleaning were running strong.

When it's time to dress fancy I take Empire with me as the Waltham means too much and stays under a glass display bubble.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a nice batch of watches! I catch-and-release pocket watches. I have probably owned 40 or 50, but I have kept only a few.

My favorite is a Waltham 1883 that belonged to my grandfather and that got me into watchmaking. The one I carry the most is an Illinois Bunn Special.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post a photo of the dial and movement for this watch, with the hands clear of the name? Looks like Blairmore, Alberta...

In return, I will post a watch I wore this weekend to a birthday party

View attachment 12035866
I'll open it up and take some pics when I get home a little later. This one unfortunately does have a pockmark in the porcelain right at the 11 marker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In alphabetical order - Part 1
That, so far, is one hell of a collection! I've never seen anything quite like that Ebel before, and I have to say I love it. The Doxa with diamond pattern also made me double take. Cheers to you!

·
Registered
990 Posts
WAY too many to show but here is one of my favorites:

This Rolex from 1924... the watch was cheap in my opinion because it needed a crown. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out how the crown/stem configuration worked so I could fix it. Took a year or two but I finally found a guy on the Internet who worked on Rolex watches and he explained that I needed to remove the case screws, then I could push the movement out the front of the case just enough to gain access to the dial screws. Once the dial was off there is a screw that holds the stem in place that can be loosened. Put a proper crown on the stem and put it all back together.
rolexpw01.jpg
rolexpw02.jpg

Okay, one more.. My friend owns a clock shop. He had a customer that wanted to buy a pocket watch for her fiance. He cleaned 3 or 4 watches for her and after she had her pick, he asked me if I was interested in any of them. I had to have this one! I just love the dials on these old bar style watches. We figured it would be from somewhere between the 1830s and 1850s with that curved barrel bridge.
1840pw1.jpg
1840pw3.jpg

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to have this one! I just love the dials on these old bar style watches. We figured it would be from somewhere between the 1830s and 1850s with that curved barrel bridge.
View attachment 12039706
View attachment 12039714
The second one with the etched estate is incredible. Don't get me wrong, the Rolex is nice, but to see a piece almost 200 years old that still looks so beautiful just blows me away.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Here are a few of mine. Here is the last one I bought this year and the first one I bought in about 7-9 years since I went more into vintage military wristwatches. This does happen to be Italian Navy issued and I bet the largest pocket watch any one here has seen. It's made by Lemania.

I see all European lets see some US made ones when America once knew how to make watches a lost art in the USA.
Here is my Grandfathers pocket watch given to him on his 21st birthday. A Waltham hunter case with a cool Elk on the case

A 18 size Elgin use to be into railroad watches still got this one even original box

A Hamilton

Even detail in the crown.
Another Hamilton WW2 military issued

And the best European made one in my collection Ulysse Nardin

And my favorite Railroad watch a Waltham with wind indicator with a watch fob from the Buffalo Bill wild west show

1 - 20 of 362 Posts