WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What manufacturers promise to restore any watch of their production regardless of model year?

All I know is Omega, Zenith and PP of course.

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
What manufacturers promise to restore any watch of their production regardless of model year?

Kind of manufacturers that go bankrupt after a couple of years ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I doubt that I will be worrying too much about any of my watches in 50 years time - or anything else come to think of it :)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I think anyone can claim something like this, but I only believe in one brand for longterm service-- Rolex. Even if RSC won't touch some watches over 30 years, it's easy to find parts and service for older models in almost any large town. For years, my favorite beater was my father's 1959-ish Thunderbird, and I've also got a 1966, gold DJ for a dress watch and never worry about service. I need to pick up the Thunderbird, today, from Chamosa Watch.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,621 Posts
I'm worried for hypothetical grandchildren ;-)
Let your grandchildren figure out whether they would wear their inherited watches enough to warrant a very expensive watch restoration. The watches that are fashionable now may be the quaint pocketwatch of the future. Just buy watches because you will like and wear them now.

Any mechanical watch can be serviced and kept running for a very long time by a competent watch repair shop. A factory service is not needed.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I doubt that I will be worrying too much about any of my watches in 50 years time - or anything else come to think of it :)
+1

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
50 years from now I'm going to throw all my current watches away and buy a hover-watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Better order now, I understand the list is getting long.
I'm #349...:-!
I think pretty much any watch, other than belt drive or hydro-powered, will be repairable in the next 50+ years.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
There will always be someone to keep watches in good working order. Fully restored by the factory? Maybe, maybe not. And maybe not affordably in any case.

I have several Pentax 6x7 cameras, made for professionals in the early 70's. Pentax stopped making that first version of the camera at least 20 years ago. Pentax no longer repairs them, but I had no trouble finding an expert on them to overhaul two of them last year. I could do the same with my 1953 Rolleiflex, but it wouldn't be Rollei doing the overhaul.

I had a watch made in the 60's serviced a few months ago, but certainly not by the ghost brand that made it originally.

Rick "who would probably not ask Zenith to restore a vintage Zenith" Denney

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
The real question is whether people still use wristwatches to know the time in 50 years from now.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'm doubtful about Omega. They weren't able to replace the case/dial on a 39 year old Geneve because parts have ran out for those.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts