WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah sorry the subject title promises more than I'm going to deliver.

Bottom line: there's two brands on here with the biggest following and that's G-Shock and Seiko.

I'm not a fan of G-Shock but you Seiko guys have really caught my eye.

1: why do AD's not stock the Monster range?

2: what's my first Seiko to be?

I want a meaty, masculine, hardcore Seiko diver.

Recommend?

·
Registered
959 Posts
The SRP043K1 (aka Spork) |>

Second that!

You want meaty, masculine, and hardcore? THIS is the one to get!

But... as I always say: it all depends on taste/preference.
A watch can be meaty, masculine, and hardcore up to ying yang, you still have to LIKE it of course ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well you have Bentley in your name and Porsche in your Avatar, why not start off with that kind of caliber in your first Seiko and look at one of the Spring Drives, they also have that meaty, masculine and hardcore your looking for. Or even just a MM300.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Easy: SBDC001 (black), 003 (blue) or 005 (orange) aka "Sumo." Same watch different dial color. I just picked up a blue one and I'm loving it. Classy, excellent fit and finish, hacks/hand winds (the later important according to Seiko), and just plain feels good.

pic0011a.jpg

Here's a great video review by James Stacey: ‪Seiko Sumo Review (SBDC005) by Watch Report‬‏ - YouTube

Link to my "new arrival" thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/new-arrival-seiko-sbdc003-sumo-big-blue-not-too-big-566675.html

Have fun, you can't go wrong with a Seiko diver, whichever you choose.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Depending on what you're willing to spend, there are plenty of great Seiko divers to "start with." Others have already mentioned the Sumo, Monster etc.; my vote goes to the MM300:

Reactions: lucduc

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! What a response. This is what I'm talking about though: if I'd posted on a different brand's forum I'd have got half the responses.

But I still don't know why none of these watches are in the shop windows here in the UK?!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on what you're willing to spend, there are plenty of great Seiko divers to "start with." Others have already mentioned the Sumo, Monster etc.; my vote goes to the MM300:

BTW: the middle picture with the leather strap is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I love it!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
BTW: the middle picture with the leather strap is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I love it!
That would be a great choice, as far as why there not in the UK I don't know and wonder the same thing about here in the US. Ether way you go, it will be a good choice with Seiko.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Hey Harry,

It entirely depends on how much you'd like to spend...
~$300: Spork
~$600: Sumo
~$3,000: Marinemaster 300

I'm a little inclined to say that if you want to spend between Sumo money and Marinemaster money, go for a Citizen Autozilla. At any rate, best luck and let us know of your decision!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Harry,

It entirely depends on how much you'd like to spend...
~$300: Spork
~$600: Sumo
~$3,000: Marinemaster 300

I'm a little inclined to say that if you want to spend between Sumo money and Marinemaster money, go for a Citizen Autozilla. At any rate, best luck and let us know of your decision!
That's a really helpful guide. I didn't realise Seiko did watches that cost that much.

I assume they're all in house movements being Seiko?

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
That's a really helpful guide. I didn't realise Seiko did watches that cost that much.

I assume they're all in house movements being Seiko?
All Seiko movements (and every other component of the watches) are in house. As for why you don't see them in local shops, Seiko and other Japanese watch companies are known for keeping the best models in their home market. The professional models like the Sumo and Marinemaster must be ordered directly from Japan. Check out these sites and you'll see all sorts of cool stuff from Seiko, Citizen and Casio that you can't get outside Japan:

CHINO WATCH
HIGUCHI-INC
SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SeiyaJapan.com in Tokyo, Japan

Also, the Marinemaster 300m sells in the $2500 range, not $3K. But the end price depends on how well your currency is doing against the Japanese yen. Unfortunately here in the US, prices have skyrocketed in recent years as the yen has strengthened against the dollar.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having spent the day looking at the options, it seems to me that while the Marine Master is lovely I'm not sure that it's worth me spending the extra cash on it when the Sumo is very similar in look and style and I'm not a diver. I thought about the Monster but the looks don't appeal to my tastes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Harry,

Before finding this forum I was unaware of the professional and high-end Seiko lines. Here in the US (and I gather in the UK) the very best from Seiko and Citizen are not available in local shops or domestic online retailers. One must reach out to Japanese retailers such as Higuchi, Chino, Seiya, et al. I can personally vouch for Higuchi and Chino: Very reputable, fast shipping, good pricing, and helpful people.

As to your quest for a nice diver. I suggest you take your time, check out reviews and see what idiosyncrasies the various models might have. For example, I recently purchased a Citizen Promaster Diver watch PMX56-2811 from Higuchi. It is an Eco Drive watch meaning it is a quartz movement and is recharged by light (artificial or sunlight). This watch has fantastic accuracy and in 3 weeks has gained less than 1 second off of NIST atomic time. On the other hand, the Seiko SBDC003 "Sumo" I just received (as well as all of the other spring/mechanical offerings) from can vary +/- ~15 seconds a day or so. These variations can possibly be minimized by having the watch regulated but there will always be some variation depending on spring state, watch position, etc. Keep in mind that Seiko does offer quartz movements both solar and battery.

Some of the mechanical watches (e.g. Spork SRP043K etc) do not hack (allow you to stop the second hand for precise setting of the time) or hand wind. These may or may not be considerations for you. For some the romance of the mechanical movement is preferable to the accuracy of quartz. Only you know what you want.

The Seiko mechanical divers (e.g. Spork, Sumo and Marine Master) are larger and heavier than any watch I've owned to date. The Sumo weighs in at over 200g. I happen to like that myself, for a change, but you may not care for it. These factors need to be considered. Seiko makes a beautiful Titanium Diver that is much lighter. So does Citizen, my PMX56-2811 weighs in at 98g. I absolutely love this "lightweight" as I barely notice it on my wrist. It's nice to have choices so I enjoy each watch for different reasons.

If I were starting at the beginning I would first set my budget, then decide on the movement type (accuracy desired etc.) and features required (date, day/date, perpetual calendar, etc), then the case/bracelet material, size, and so on. Unless you have an unlimited budget and can buy one of each!

Here's another brilliant review (by a fellow forum member) to entertain yourself with while you are deciding: ‪Citizen PMX56 Review‬‏ - YouTube

Anyway, it's a lot of fun and be prepared to get hooked and find yourself with multiples. I registered here in June and have already bought 2 divers. :-!

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Having spent the day looking at the options, it seems to me that while the Marine Master is lovely I'm not sure that it's worth me spending the extra cash on it when the Sumo is very similar in look and style and I'm not a diver. I thought about the Monster but the looks don't appeal to my tastes.
A Sumo would be a fine choice for starting out with Seiko divers. It's got the hacking, handwinding 6r15 movement which is more refined and accurate than the 7s26 found in the Monster and other entry level models. And the overall quality easily equals that of Swiss models costing much more. It looks good on a strap also. Here are some pics of mine on a Di-Modell Chronissimo:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts