WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna say I agree with him maybe 85% of the time when he’s not bashing Invicta which seems to be once in a blue moon, he will find something else to complain about. I know others on YouTube do this too but this guy takes the gold. Name anyone reviewing watches on YouTube and most will find something wrong although the watches their getting aren’t costing more than a few hundred dollars. But to get a free $1,795 Zodiac after bragging about having a Rolex Explore II, How can anyone take them seriously?

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
He’s one of the worst. IMHO. He’s wrong about basic WIS stuff so often if I want to see the watch I turn off the sound on the rare occasion I actually watch one of his videos. Seriously, like not knowing what kind of bracelet is on a watch. Take a frickin minute and look it up instead of rushing to make a video and displaying your ignorance and sloth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
He’s one of the worst. IMHO. He’s wrong about basic WIS stuff so often if I want to see the watch I turn off the sound on the rare occasion I actually watch one of his videos. Seriously, like not knowing what kind of bracelet is on a watch. Take a frickin minute and look it up instead of rushing to make a video and displaying your ignorance and sloth.
He did a video on the Former Essence that made a big deal about the 43mm being cheaper than the 39mm... except he was comparing the 43 of the old version to the 39 of the (upgraded) new one. I commented and pointed it out, and he replied that he was going to correct the video... and then never did. I don't have any connection to Formex, but I'd be pretty pissed if I sent a watch to a reviewer who couldn't be bothered to get basic information correct.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I sat through the whole review that was posted and fail to see a problem with it. He's entitled to his opinions and his opinions are reasonable with some evidence behind them. You don't have to agree with him. Also, he's not bragging about his Rolex Explorer II - he said that he was spoiled by his Explorer II for having a quick set hour (which is his preference) as opposed to the quick set GMT on this watch.
And are you intimating that if you get a free watch, it's somehow wrong to complain about it? Because that's what it sounds like to me by the way you worded the title.
Finally, I doubt he was given the watch, it looks like one of those loaners that does the rounds of Youtube reviewers.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
I corrected him once when he misidentified a BOR bracelet. He replied that I was wrong. This, combined with his frequent whining about LEs and repeated mistakes… yeah, I don’t watch him much anymore.

It’s sad that we see this a lot. Nick Shabazz routinely gets the beat rate of movements/ticks per second wrong. He’s corrected, rebuts the correction and continues to make the same mistake. FFS do a few minutes of preproduction research before rolling video and simply blurting out what comes into your head.

·
Registered
776 Posts
One of the problems with this hobby in todays world is that if you're not willing to make or sell watches, in order to capitalize on watches you have to talk about them, and part of talking about them is elevating them to a place beyond what they really are, watches.

A great deal of what gets discussed is forced, because it provides economic prospect to do so.

It's a shame.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I wanna say I agree with him maybe 85% of the time when he’s not bashing Invicta which seems to be once in a blue moon, he will find something else to complain about. I know others on YouTube do this too but this guy takes the gold. Name anyone reviewing watches on YouTube and most will find something wrong although the watches their getting aren’t costing more than a few hundred dollars. But to get a free $1,795 Zodiac after bragging about having a Rolex Explore II, How can anyone take them seriously?

He said Zodiac sponsored the episode, he didn't say they gave him the watch to keep. I watch most of his stuff, more for entertainment than because he's the most knowledgeable guy on YT. If you want to learn something, watch Watchfinder's channel.

He could've completely glossed over the issues which the watch most definitely does have in order to stay in Zodiac's good graces, I'm glad he didn't. Anybody that does pay to play good reviews is a hack and has no business being a reviewer.

I took the Rolex comment about contrasting its flyer GMT capability to Zodiac's caller GMT function. He has a decent watch collection, as do many reviewers on YT. I don't see talking about that as a big deal.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I thought we wanted reviewers to be honest...?

·
Registered
868 Posts
His super bias anti-TAG Heuer video turned me off him completely. Interestingly, TGV had a TAG video around the same month where he went to the TAG Heuer factory. He discussed positives and negatives and gave a good all round review of the brand. Vs, Time Teller just ranting at a camera for 10mins. I actually think he’s a bit of a hack, and breeds videos of popular opinion. As is the usual YT business model.

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
I sat through the whole review that was posted and fail to see a problem with it. He's entitled to his opinions and his opinions are reasonable with some evidence behind them. You don't have to agree with him. Also, he's not bragging about his Rolex Explorer II - he said that he was spoiled by his Explorer II for having a quick set hour (which is his preference) as opposed to the quick set GMT on this watch.
And are you intimating that if you get a free watch, it's somehow wrong to complain about it? Because that's what it sounds like to me by the way you worded the title.
Finally, I doubt he was given the watch, it looks like one of those loaners that does the rounds of Youtube reviewers.
As you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am too. And I find him uninformed about Facts and apparently too lazy to just spend a minute looking stuff up. The one that was the final straw was calling a bracelet by the wrong name constantly and then saying OhWell, if I’m wrong let me know in the comments. Pretty basic stuff IMHO.

·
Registered
Seiko LM 5601-9000
593 Posts
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. However, he's rather fragile. I remember commenting some polite constructive criticism on one of his Instagram posts, which garnered some support from fellow commenters, only to find my post deleted and account blocked.

I subsequently commented on one of his YouTube videos, addressing what happened on Instagram, and he responded with outright aggression. Embarassing behavior. Apparently he's only thankful for viewership when it suits his needs.

So, needless to say, I haven't watched a video of his since and hold a low opinion on him.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I doubt any mfr could send out a new watch with bent/broken bracelet pins. I think it's most likely that the watch was a return or repair, quickly checked over and gifted to an influencer, and the bracelet damage was missed.

I think it's a bit harsh for a reviewer - someone supposedly 'in the industry' - to crucify a company for that. A quick call to the supplier and the opportunity to correct it wouldn't have cost him anything.

The lume alignment etc is fair game IMO.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts