WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a difficult time watching him and rarely do so but he was correct about the lume not aligning with several indices so I have to give him credit for that. A quick question for the WIS Grammar Police. He used the word, indexes which is correct if he was talking about several directories, but is the plural form of a watch index, indices or indexes? Would, baton/batons be the better word?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I have a difficult time watching him and rarely do so but he was correct about the lume not aligning with several indices so I have to give him credit for that. A quick question for the WIS Grammar Police. He used the word, indexes which is correct if he was talking about several directories, but is the plural form of a watch index, indices or indexes? Would, baton/batons be the better word?
Indices is possibly a little arch, and makes people think the singular is indice (pronounced "indissy"), which isn't a word. Indexes is an acceptable plural form irrespective of context.

·
Premium Member
75,262 Posts
I sat through the whole review that was posted and fail to see a problem with it. He's entitled to his opinions and his opinions are reasonable with some evidence behind them. You don't have to agree with him. Also, he's not bragging about his Rolex Explorer II - he said that he was spoiled by his Explorer II for having a quick set hour (which is his preference) as opposed to the quick set GMT on this watch.
And are you intimating that if you get a free watch, it's somehow wrong to complain about it? Because that's what it sounds like to me by the way you worded the title.
Finally, I doubt he was given the watch, it looks like one of those loaners that does the rounds of Youtube reviewers.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
One of the problems with this hobby in todays world is that if you're not willing to make or sell watches, in order to capitalize on watches you have to talk about them, and part of talking about them is elevating them to a place beyond what they really are, watches.

A great deal of what gets discussed is forced, because it provides economic prospect to do so.

It's a shame.
Truly. There are so many cookie cutter videos on YouTube. These guys (& a couple of gals) are only trying to get to a point where they can get a few bucks for their opinions, not just watches. If I see the same formulaic approach, same background scenery (table map) with hands flopping around, over dubbed speech, all giving measurements in basically the same order as each other, giving us obvious information we could get from a few still pictures, I don't know what to think any more!

Are these attempts at entertainment, or information? You could say that all this stuff should be taken with a grain of salt, but when you're pulled in by the click bait thumb nails on these videos, what can we expect? Another expert? Many of these folks found a way to avoid leaving their homes, bought a new camera and a couple lights (and inevitable table map background) to emulate other channels that DO spend a bit of time actually researching the content they intend on enriching us with.

The companies that offer free items to review see this phenomena of watch review channels as a cheap form of advertising, just give us your address and you take it from there! Do these guys have to provide a truthful opinion? No.

We aren't being force fed these informational videos, we make the choice to click on the thumbnail. To bring it here for complaining is silly. You should already know what it is, and you're trying to rally the troops to side with you...the original poster, not you, grafiz, I agree with you.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well, to put this in my perspective, I was going through my closet and found two quartz watches from 1990s made for fashion brand out of Boston MA, called Joseph Abboud. I looked at the cases of the watches the finely brushed sides with fancy lugs (a la Breguet) with applied and polished Art Deco numerals, guilloche dial, framed date window, coin edge bezel....Well I thought this $74 quartz watch is better made than 90% of new releases from major brands. That Zodiac watch is a joke in terms of craftsmanship of the case and the dial. To be honest most of the watches I see are a rip off , save for some superb cases and dials from PP, VC, Chopard or Breguet , where you can actually hold the watch in your hand and appreciate that this is not something off the shelf generic crap with generic movement and sloppily printed dial.
Ah yes, the off-topic watch hipster-snob is here. I was wondering when you would show up. Soapbox probably getting worn out by now.

How's hawking your mini-turtle going?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Indices is possibly a little arch, and makes people think the singular is indice (pronounced "indissy"), which isn't a word. Indexes is an acceptable plural form irrespective of context.
It's always a little cringey listening to some these reviewers insist on (over)using "indices" to the point that it's obvious that they don't really grasp it as a word.

Dude, you speak American English, just say "index" or "indexes" or "markers". I know you want to.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
His online persona is not for me. Kind of loud. Some of his replies I saw on both Instagram and YouTube comments struck me as unnecessarily unkind. Even a little toxic.
Also I have learned that low production value content creators like this are just not my thing. Unless the person in front of the camera is particularly entertaining. Which for me, is not the case here.

That said. I think it is better to ignore whatever is posted on the internet (video or otherwise) that you think is bogus, instead of bringing more attention to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Time teller has some issues certainly, but to me, Frederico irritates me just as much. It was a relatively recent video when he claimed to know more than any other watch reviewer on YouTube. I’m not sure the universe of reviewers he was comparing himself to, but pointing to the fact that you used to work at Wempe or something doesn’t automatically make you the best/smartest watch reviewer out there. He certainly has a lot of expertise to share, but those blanket, pompous statements really turn me off. Haven’t watched a video of his since.
I totally agree with you on this. I'm not sure what is happening to him lately, but I feel he's getting more and more vindictive with everything, and that exact comment where he stated that he was more knowledgeable than every other YouTubers turned me off too. He was much more easy-going few months/years ago.

·
Registered
37,639 Posts
I totally agree with you on this. I'm not sure what is happening to him lately, but I feel he's getting more and more vindictive with everything, and that exact comment where he stated that he was more knowledgeable than every other YouTubers turned me off too. He was much more easy-going few months/years ago.
I also noticed the change in demeanour from the laid back Fed of old to the new (Much richer) more aggressive and confrontational new Fed.

Think I preferred the old fatter one actually.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
He uses confrontation and controversy to rile up viewers and get subscribers. Part of that is pushing the "watch snob" persona.

He lost me a while ago when he "reviewed" a $15 AliExpress special. Went on for 20 minutes about how it felt cheap and wasn't a good timekeeper. Real shocker there... it's a $15 automatic you dipstick.

·
Registered
37,639 Posts
Newly moneyed and becoming more aggressive and controversial? Say it isn't so :)
It could happen to me as well.

But it never will, not enough £££’s, and now I’m retired even less £££’s

Reactions: RedVee
61 - 80 of 112 Posts