WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Id like to try a 22mm z-22 strap on my MM300.
EBay has cheap versions but I'm wondering if they are authentic - I've read some threads that made me wonder.
Anybody got an old SKX diver strap sitting around they they want to offer up?.

Id like to do a comparison/ photo essay comparing the Z22 and Bonetto 285 (which I own) and the Darth Tuna wave vent (which I own).

Pm is you want.

cheers

IMG_4429.jpg

because a thread needs pictures heres a shot of my MM300 on stock boiled Darth rubber.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Z-22 strap (six stock strap ) on MM300 ????

Exactly. The two I have are 22 mm squeezed in, that's why I want to try the z22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

They both squeeze in well with out any noticeable bulge or tapering. The added rubber around the lug pin helps to minimize the gap between the pin and case and the added friction between the case and the strap helps the straps not to move much which does a great job of keeping the watch head in place.

·
Registered
768 Posts

It is true though, many on the bay are fake. I bought mine from Seiya just to be sure. Bought a second from a forum from someone who put it on bracelet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Re: Z-22 strap on Sumo

Not a real response to your question, but here is a modified Z-20 on a Sumo. I needed something to hold me over until bracelet parts arrive from Seiko.

20160123_082455-600x1067.jpg

I used the end links to help close the large gap caused by longer lugs.

20160123_082445-600x1067.jpg

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

I'm reasonably sure that a fake Z22 could not be any more uncomfortable than a genuine Z22. If you get a Z22 and it's comfy, you probably got a fake because nobody except Seiko would make a strap that terrible :D

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm reasonably sure that a fake Z22 could not be any more uncomfortable than a genuine Z22. If you get a Z22 and it's comfy, you probably got a fake because nobody except Seiko would make a strap that terrible :D
yeah - I know the Z-22 doesn't get a lot of love around here.
The thing is, the hard/plasticky seiko strap is the one I'm looking for.
I remember how when it came out of the box new I thought it was pretty terrible. However once boiled to give it the curved shape to match my wrist I thought it became significantly better.
I sold my SKX diver a long time ago but the B22 that came with my Darth is the same hard rubber and once boiled it does a great job of not bending and flopping around with the heavy MM300 head.
I can wear the watch relatively loose without having the head slide to the sides of my wrist ..... thats why I'm keen to get the "authentic terrible strap".

Glen - thanks for the seiya suggestion.

FatTuesday - nice work with the exacto. I too have always hated the massive lug gap on the sumo

Reactions: M1K3Z0R

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

People can talk smack about the Z 22 all they want but it's still the most functional and good looking strap Seiko's ever used.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I don't like it. It's too thick and don't like the waves it has. It's the only negative thing on Seiko watches.
Fair enough.
The MM300 I want to mount it to is also think and chunky - I like the way the wave vents add volume at the point where the head meets the straps.
The z22 is also distinctively seiko / same as the mm300.
Part of the appeal for me, growing up as a kid I always associated the wave vent with diver so nostalgia may play into the appeal.

Reactions: FatTuesday

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi,

I have about 5 Z22 wave strap and a Flat vent version (for a 6309). I also have their equivalent BC285 and BC284. Those italian rubber ones are more comfy no doubt about it. However, I like the Seiko straps as well. I've ordered some replacements from Seiya also to be sure of the authenticity.

What is good about these hard and plasticky straps, they are great in hot& humid weather; I wore a SRP231 under blazing heat last summer in WDW and I tried a Wenger beater fitted with a BC285 the following day. The BC became moist and sticky from all the sweat, the Seiko stayed hard and clean!!

I doubt howeve you'll be able to squeeze a Z22 in 20 mm lugs...they are quite stiff.

S.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi,

What is good about these hard and plasticky straps, they are great in hot& humid weather.

I doubt howeve you'll be able to squeeze a Z22 in 20 mm lugs...they are quite stiff.

S.
I agree about the harder stiffer seiko straps being less grippy/ sticky that the BC285 version

The BC certainly are softer, more supple and easier to squeeze into the 20mm lugs.

When I initially tried the B22 of my Darth it felt too hard to squeeze so I ordered the BC.
After a month of wear id decided the mm300 was a keeper and I was a little braver about squeezing the seiko rubber into the gap but it does go in relatively easy.
I suspect the z22 would also be OK.
The seiya site has the darth straps and the tuna version of the z22 which looks pretty similar, is that what you ordered or did he have actual z22 at some point?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The seiya site has the darth straps and the tuna version of the z22 which looks pretty similar, is that what you ordered or did he have actual z22 at some point?
Thats the one I got....they were a bit higher priced than amazon or ebay but I'm sure they are legit....at first I did not even noticed thay they are not "official z22" but they look identical... 36$ is a good price for this.

S.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats the one I got....they were a bit higher priced than amazon or ebay but I'm sure they are legit....at first I did not even noticed thay they are not "official z22" but they look identical... 36$ is a good price for this.S.
good to know - thx

If no one wants to sell me a z22 this may be a good option.
cheers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

I do have a Z-22 which tried to shoehorn onto my MM300 this morning. It's so much stiffer than the 22mm Bonetto 285 I usually have on my MM300. I tried for a bit to squeeze it in, but gave up out of fear of scratching the watch. For comparison I put the 285 back on, and it squeezed in easily. I had been wearing a 20mm Hirsch Mariner on my MM300. It kind of looks like a fat with a skinny belt on compared to the 22mm 285.

Mark

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I do have a Z-22 which tried to shoehorn onto my MM300 this morning. It's so much stiffer than the 22mm Bonetto 285 I usually have on my MM300. I tried for a bit to squeeze it in, but gave up out of fear of scratching the watch. For comparison I put the 285 back on, and it squeezed in easily. I had been wearing a 20mm Hirsch Mariner on my MM300. It kind of looks like a fat with a skinny belt on compared to the 22mm 285.

Mark
Thanks Mark - that was my initial concern with buying the real deal - i may be better of with a cheaper copy to see how it looks.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

well, I went am ordered a genuine seiko Z22..... if its too inflexible I will find out soon.
Pics to follow after landing

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Z-22 arrived.
Its blacker and shinier that the Darth strap that Ive been wearing .

Looks and feels like my old SKX diver and fits into the MM300.
Printing/ font on the buckle looks like its supposed to , as do the branding imprints on the rubber.
It certainly has that hard, inflexible feel that i remember.
The flair at the lugs is wider than the flat vent so interested in seeing how it looks after the boiling water treatment its currently under going.

mm300z22flat.jpg MM300z22.jpg mm300darth.jpg

Here are some pics.
Looks wise its definitely a bit wider at the lugs and the first wave vent is a lot more prominent now as it rises up before dipping down. The darth strap just goes from flat into the first wave.
The z22 is definitely harder than the Darth strap and a bitt trickier to squeeze in but as with the other strap once seated the squeeze is not noticeable. The spacing between the lug point and the 90 degree corner on the strap is perfect, tight tolerances but no distortion.

I always felt that the watch head dwarfed the 20mm lugs and the stock rubber, so for me the added width at the flair is a pleasant surprise that adds to the vintage/ SKX look.
Im also a fan of the shorter tail and the rubber keeper which is much easier to thread, though I admit it doesn't look as good as the brushed DLC keeper.

Im also a huge fan of boiling these straps.
Un boiled the are hard and uncomfortable and never seem to keep the watch head in the right position.
Once boiled and curved they hug the wrist like the slap bands my kids like to play with.
The extreme curvature allows me to wear the strap a hole looser and yet the heads stays centered all the time. The boiling also seems to have taken a little of the initial shine which may be a by product of the production process.

Sorry about the image size, i have a new computer and I haven't figured out how to reduce export size in the new Mac photo exporter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts