WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the new blue limited edition sunray dial in the 42mm case. This watch features a production run of 1975 pieces. This watch will undoubtedly be compared to the Charles Vermont limited of 2010. How do you feel about this new offering?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Nice, and nice to see the "El Primero" in script again...I wonder if Zenith is going to issue Vermot LEs in all of its model lines?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,408 Posts
Hmmmmmm! A nice watch, one that I would consider owning if I had the cash to spare. The thing that slightly bothers me is the 12h subdial. It steps out of line with the other two - especially the 30min chrono subdial. In order to keep the chrono subdials the same, it would be better to instead change the style of the permanent seconds subdial that way (if you are going to do it at all). This is the advantage of the Valjoux 7750, or even other chronos with permanent seconds at 6:00 (Frederic Piguet, Rolex, Piaget, etc.) - and the disadvantage of the classic system represented by the "El Primero": you can do that and still keep the dial symmetry. Still, it could grow on me.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,443 Posts
Loving that shade of blue (with a bit of grey). Sunburst is a bit boring as tone goes. I think I have just seen too many with that finish. It's attractive, just...common?. I prefer a matte finish (think Television model ca. 1975) or the lacquer look if shiny (think Class 4 ca. 1997). I admit most will disagree with me on this one!

Now call me crazy (be nice), but what really stood out to me was the band, of all things. Again, love that shade of blue, and the old Zenith star on the buckle looks way cool. Subtle, but a nice touch, like a wink at it's heritage.

Of course, I don't think I'll ever really love an El Primero with the date at six. Maybe in time...

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I am with Time Exposure. Move the date back to its old location. Then maybe the 12-hr counter can compliment the dial? Still a nice looking watch though!

Thanks & cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is'nt that watch a Captain limited edition not a 36,000 VPh. I have a question as well which one do you think looks Hester the black or blue one. On both a leather and metal braclet. Also do u know by any chance how much more does it cost compared to the standard Captain.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Thanks for sharing those really nice pics, Rob! I do like this one and the chocolate dial model in the Captain/Classic range. Any updates on when you're getting the new 38mm El Primeros?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great pics. I absolutely LOVE that blue dial. I also like the subdials design. It gives it a certain bi-compax look. Also of note is the return of the El Primero script front on the case back. Hope it will make it to the dial at some point. A shame they didn't put Vermot's name on the case back though as they did with the 36000. Now if it only had the date at 4:30...

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I really like this and even better then the Charles Vermont limited of 2010! But only that stupid date... ruins it all!! It immediately pops out while looking at the dial.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Good point. One of the nice things of Zeniths in the past was that the date wheel color matched the dial. Now they are all white and pop out.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,443 Posts
Funny...my Class 4 (square with hinged lugs ca. 1997) has a drop dead gorgeous blue dial with a white date ring. The date on a watch, I admit, is an absolute crutch. I look at it several times a day because I don't remember what it read the last time I glanced at it. But the white dial with black numbers is so much easier to read, and I don't think it detracts at all from the blue dial surrounding it.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The white date wheel looks fine to me, it breaks up the sea of blue on the dial - provides better visibility than a blue date wheel as well. If it's good enough for the Patek Nautilus, it is good enough for me ;-).

Black digits on a white date wheel or white digits on a black date wheel offer the best legibility. I think colored date wheels (other than black or white date wheels, of course) are not a great idea unless the numerals are large, and of a color with sufficient contrast to distinguish it from the background.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts