WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always admired this watch, and I'd like to find one on a strap. Could someone point me in the right direction to a good value? I've found several online on bracelet, but I want it on a strap.

The model I'm seeking is the black dial, stainless steel.

Thanks in advance |>

Cheers,

Stephen

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
If the price is good>>>

I would get the one on a bracelet and put a strap on it. You can always sell the bracelet.

Other than that, you need to peridically look. They come up for sale from time-to-time. You just need to be persistant.

Keep us posted!

Dan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello Stephen

I was in exactly your position, and found a new bracelet version at a good price from Germany. I ordered one, along with an alligator strap from the US. The watch arrived last week, and it is superb. The bracelet looks much nicer in the flesh, and I might keep it as is. It is certainly more convenient than a strap.

However, note that the watch differs slightly from the strap version in that it has holes right through the lugs. This is to allow you to remove the bracelet, as the bracelet does not otherwise give access to the pins. (Look at pictures and you will see what I mean.) This means that you probably won't be able to sell the bracelet, as it will not fit a strap model, thus removing a potential market.

Anyway, the cost of a decent strap is relatively small.

I got my watch from Uhren-Lady in Germany, and I found her polite and helpful, and the watch was exactly as described i.e. new. She says that she will try to source watches if she does not have the model wanted.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Leif

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks very much for the detailed feedback Leif. It's nice the know that that bracelet is nice in person than in photos - because I don't really care for it in pics.

Cheers,

Stephen

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello Stephen. FYI after shortening the bracelet this evening I've decided that even a plain leather strap is far better. The bracelet just didn't appeal. Odd that most people I see seem to prefer bracelets. Leif

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Stephen. FYI after shortening the bracelet this evening I've decided that even a plain leather strap is far better. The bracelet just didn't appeal. Odd that most people I see seem to prefer bracelets. Leif
That's the problem at present - it's difficult to find the watch on strap alone, and I don't like paying for a bracelet I'm not going to wear.

Care to post some pics of your watch on the strap? :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unfortunately I don't really have the rig for photos. I can put together a soft box but it takes ages. Sadly. I might some day have a go as my hobby is photography (nature, mainly butterflies and fungi) and photographing a watch is a good technical exercise.

I should add that I'm not a collector, just someone who recently got the bug to buy a nice mechanical watch that makes a nice satisfying ticking sound. And which is made by skilled Swiss people and not robots. Inheriting an old JLC (from 1953) is the cause. I can't explain why it is so appealing. I never took to my Seiko Kinetic.

Leif

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
That is a very nice light studio! I have made do with a (clean) gallon milk jug cut out for the watch. The minimum you need for this hobby is two sources of light (and some way to diffuse it), a tripod, a camera you can program somewhat, and a place to rest your watch.

Included are two examples of what you can do.....

Cheers!

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a very nice light studio! I have made do with a (clean) gallon milk jug cut out for the watch. The minimum you need for this hobby is two sources of light (and some way to diffuse it), a tripod, a camera you can program somewhat, and a place to rest your watch.

Included are two examples of what you can do.....

Cheers!

Dan
Great pics :-! Some of the best watch pics around are in DIY setups like yours.

I really like that JLC Memovox. Any other pics of that watch to share? :)

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Couple more>>>

The balance are too large and I would have to shrink them in order to get this site to upload them. But they aren't that different, so these should be OK.

Glad you liked them! I really liked the watch, but ended up selling it so I could move upscale and get the Master Moon. :-!

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Couple more>>>

I really like that watch. Is the case 35mm?

I'd like to pick one up, but they aren't very common these days. The last one I saw was quite overpriced IMO. If you don't mind, I wouldn't mind hearing what your sold your Memovox for - PM or e-mail is fine.

Which Master Moon did you pick up, the current model or the 37mm model?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello Stephen/Dan

I took a few quick pictures this evening, using a basic Heath Robinson light box (a couple of diffusers and some table lamps).

The images are a bit rough, but they do show the watch well. I did not do a very good job of cleaning the watch hence the dust/dirt. Also the light is a bit harsh. Oh, and the hands are not at 10 past 10!

As you can see the movement is quite nicely finished, but not up to the very best standards. Another aspect for movement watchers, is that few parts are visible, mainly the rotor and the balance wheel. Most other gears are hidden. The El Primero is better in that respect.

I put the watch on an alligator strap from Florida, which really impressed me when it arrived. It is a matt black one, which is elegant without being as in your face as gloss ones. This is a question of personal taste of course.

Surprisingly the watch looks enormous on my wrists. I have very small wrists which severely limits my choice of watch, most being far too large.

Leif

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great Leif, and I agree, it is a perfect choice of strap.

At some point you may also want to try a matte honey brown croc strap. That would also look great on that watch IMO.

Good point you made about the perceived size of the watch. That watch has such a thin bezel that it likely wears like many 40mm watches.

Thanks for posting |>

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Hello Stephen/Dan

I took a few quick pictures this evening, using a basic Heath Robinson light box (a couple of diffusers and some table lamps).

The images are a bit rough, but they do show the watch well. I did not do a very good job of cleaning the watch hence the dust/dirt. Also the light is a bit harsh. Oh, and the hands are not at 10 past 10!

As you can see the movement is quite nicely finished, but not up to the very best standards. Another aspect for movement watchers, is that few parts are visible, mainly the rotor and the balance wheel. Most other gears are hidden. The El Primero is better in that respect.

I put the watch on an alligator strap from Florida, which really impressed me when it arrived. It is a matt black one, which is elegant without being as in your face as gloss ones. This is a question of personal taste of course.

Surprisingly the watch looks enormous on my wrists. I have very small wrists which severely limits my choice of watch, most being far too large.

Leif
That is a sweet watch! I recall that the RDM (same look but with the RDM indicator) was one of my favorites! Thanks and wear it in good health!

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts