WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
Haven't seen the other articles yet, just the Hodinkee.

The oscillator itself is...wowwwwwwwww. My favorite pic from Hodinkee:

The modeling, math, and materials knowledge embodied there are a techno-geek's wet dream.

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
Hublot designed case nothing good, movement finish very average but innovation wise excellent

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
So is this kind of up against the Spring Drive in terms of ultra smooth seconds hand, accuracy and unconventional movement? Is it a fair comparison? Or is this much closer to a traditional mechanical? I understand the technologies are different but do you see what I mean?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Initially, when I read about the new Zenith Oscillator, there was talk of no friction and no lubrication needed. Which made me think that the movement does not need as much servicing or need no servicing at all. But from the looks of the watch, it seems it's the contact points between oscillator and escape wheel that doesn't need lubrication, but the rest of the watch is the same as other mechanical watches, which means it'd still need periodic servicing? If that's the case, then it's not as revolutionary as I thought it would be.

But still, very neat! Thank you for sharing the articles and videos!

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
So is this kind of up against the Spring Drive in terms of ultra smooth seconds hand, accuracy and unconventional movement? Is it a fair comparison? Or is this much closer to a traditional mechanical? I understand the technologies are different but do you see what I mean?
Beats SD on accuracy. Its accuracy is in line with quartz.

It's purely mechanical...no electronic anything. It's somewhat comparable to SD in that the standard escapement has been replaced, but the fact that this is still purely mechanical makes them almost entirely different animals.

As for the finishing...I suspect they'll aim for a Richard Mille kind of look. Since the part's silicon, it has to be coated or it'd be too temperature-sensitive. The coating can be any color, and from some of the other pics...this may be the first no-dial skelly that I like. And there could be some very interesting looks, like a 'floating' oscillator. Color it...but most everything else is done in one of the ultra-black finishes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Please Zenith, put that movement in a watch that doesn't look like my awful counter tops.

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
All the stories on this, have said it'll be going into regular-production models next year.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's hypnotic to watch the video. I wonder how long that piece of silicon can keep moving like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Pretty cool to be taking steps forward from traditional watchmaking. I even like the weird case. If this wasn't a showcase and was a consumer level piece, I would actually probably prefer a dial, but it would seem a shame to cover up the bit of technology which makes this watch unique.

I would be hesitant to purchase one of the first, given the limited knowledge of long term reliability, but still pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
this is nothing short of amazing. wow.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In today's other news:

-Farer Universal released their new Super Compressor style dive watches called the Aqua Compressor:
https://farer.com/collections/aqua-compressor-automatics

-Dan Henry is supposed to start shipping the new 40 mm diameter version of his Super Compressor styled watch known as the "1970" to those of us who had pre-ordered one, although I don't think any of us have received any shipping alerts yet:
https://danhenrywatches.com/pages/1970-40mm-automatic-diver-watch-preorder

-And Jean-Marc Wiederrecht was awarded the equivalent of "Nobel Prize of the watch industry":
The 2017 Gaïa Awards: Richard Mille, Jean-Marc Wiederrecht, And Laurence Marti Honored | Quill & Pad

Damn, it was an eventful day!

Reactions: Synequano

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Homerun. Grandslam.
Yes - case and look is controversial - but being new modern movement - it was the right design approach to roll-out.
I expect they'll make it available in a more traditional\conservative cases and dial designs, and it will be a hit.
That oscilator is just sexy. Throw in the accuracy and beat frequency - and it being purely mechanical... I have to say this is watch-making at its finest

1 - 20 of 81 Posts