WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at buying my first El Primero in over a decade, have sold all the vintage ones of the years.

I was curious as to the opinions on the the 38mm or 42mm and dial preference.

I am partial to the 38mm because it is more of an homage then 42mm. The dial is closest to the early 70's El Primero.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I regularly wear a Lemania one button and Le Jour Diver both of which are 38mm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very happy with the 38mm, the date window at 4:30p matches the A386, and IMHO the layout just looks better at that size.

Of course, wrist size and how big you like your watch matter, too. As others have said, this one wears a little bigger than other 38mm watches due to its long lugs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good, that by far is my favorite dial. I prefer the 430 date by far.

A few questions if you don't mind.

How do you like the bracelet? What size wrist will the bracelet fit?
The rotor, do you consider it loud when you tilt the watch a few times?

Bought this on Heritage a week or 2 ago, very nice recreation by Maurice Mechan.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really like the bracelet, and I usually don't like bracelets. Looks great, very comfortable, easy yet secure clasp. No micro-adjustment, but comes with half and full size links, and I was able to find a sizing that fits well. At some point, I imagine I'll try it on a strap, but for now I'll stick with the bracelet.

Can't say for sure on the size, but I have about a 7" wrist, and the jeweler took out two full links to get the fit right. (A detailed but relevant point: the half-links are not exactly half the size of the whole links, they are more like 60% links. This is helpful, allows more fine-tuning of the fit.) (edited)

The rotor is fairly quiet, in my opinion, quieter than my other vintage automatic. (edited)

About the comic - nice! That photo's from a print hanging in my fav comic book shop in Philly, Amalgam Comics.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Have been looking at buying my first El Primero in over a decade, have sold all the vintage ones of the years.

I was curious as to the opinions on the the 38mm or 42mm and dial preference.

I am partial to the 38mm because it is more of an homage then 42mm. The dial is closest to the early 70's El Primero.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I regularly wear a Lemania one button and Le Jour Diver both of which are 38mm.
Can't go wrong with the 38mm. Imho the vintage styling doesn't work as well on the large 42mm case.

Reactions: ilia

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looks good, that by far is my favorite dial. I prefer the 430 date by far.

A few questions if you don't mind.

Bought this on Heritage a week or 2 ago, very nice recreation by Maurice Mechan.

View attachment 15863739
About the rotor. It is louder than my other watches. However, I think it's consistent with the El Primero's DNA. High-beat, accurate, designed for precision and performance. A Ferrari if you will,its supposed to make some sound. Feels like a living beast. And you can only hear it close to your ears in a quiet room. Doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: szajic and ilia

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I went with the 42 because I liked the full markers (nearly) all the way around and didn't care for the cramped look of the date window at 4:30.
Also, I use the chrono for work, so the extra dial makes reading both the time and chrono easier and quicker since there's more separation between the time and subdial cluster; and the chrono seconds hand has more real estate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the rotor. It is louder than my other watches. However, I think it's consistent with the El Primero's DNA. High-beat, accurate, designed for precision and performance. A Ferrari if you will,its supposed to make some sound. Feels like a living beast. And you can only hear it close to your ears in a quiet room. Doesn't bother me at all.
Sincerely appreciate the feedback. I didn't recall the other El Primero Chronographs and Chronomasters rotors being loud. I assume it might have to do the display back vs. the all metal back.

Thanks,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with the 42 because I liked the full markers (nearly) all the way around and didn't care for the cramped look of the date window at 4:30.
Also, I use the chrono for work, so the extra dial makes reading both the time and chrono easier and quicker since there's more separation between the time and subdial cluster; and the chrono seconds hand has more real estate.
I agree with you as well on the dial. I have a large wrist, 8.5+ inches, and the 42mm appealed to me from the size. Getting older the larger dials help as well.

Nice to hear that you utilize the watch.

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts