WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been reading your posts to learn about Zenith watches, I just bought an elite 680 last week and would like to get your expert opinions if: a) the warch is actually authentic, because with my limited knowledge on Zenith, I haven't seen one with a mother of pearl (and different color) second subdial and b) if you know about which year is this model so I can research and read more about it. I am attaching some pictures for your review

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Welcome to the Zenith forum. THat's an interesting model you've got there - I have never seen one with a mother-of-pearly subseconds on a white dial. I presume that the rest of the dial is enamel, it certainly has that sheen to it.

The watch is from the late 1990s and looks like a "Class" model (before that model range exploded in size under Thierry Nataf to form the "Grande Class" series). It looks entirely genuine once the dial is confirmed. This suggests that the model also came with a white subdial:

Zenith Elite Stahl Automatik Kal. 680 Ref. 90/01.0050.680 | 161651 | Zeitauktion

...but this one also has mother-of-pearl so there may be something in it:

ZENITH ELITE 90-01.0050.680 31MM STAINLESS STEEL MOP SUBDIAL Cal 680 AUTOMATIC | eBay

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Zenith forum. THat's an interesting model you've got there - I have never seen one with a mother-of-pearly subseconds on a white dial. I presume that the rest of the dial is enamel, it certainly has that sheen to it.

The watch is from the late 1990s and looks like a "Class" model (before that model range exploded in size under Thierry Nataf to form the "Grande Class" series). It looks entirely genuine once the dial is confirmed. This suggests that the model also came with a white subdial:

Hartmut Richter

Thanks so much for your opinion, Hartmut!

I have spent the whole weekend searching google images to see if I can find a watch with similar dial and didn't see any either. The ebay listing is actually from the same seller that sell the watch to me, and the same exact watch I received. I intentionally took the pictures side way so you can see the MOP sub dial, which is cool, but not sure why I can't find another one like it though?

If you find any other one like it, please let me know so I can confirm, I have a genuine dial.

Thanks again for your help!

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knowing the year, I searched for 1998 Zenith Elite, and found one the same like this one (with blue band) sold thru Rakuten from a seller in Japan. I also noticed that not many dial with the Roman numeric markers like these, if there is one, the dial are completely white. I will keep finding to see if this watch has some sibblings! :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This watch was sold as a ladies' watch and is listed and illustrated in my 1999 Zenith catalogue as Class Elite mid-size. It came with a blue Louisiana strap which matched the cabochon on the crown. " The cabochon adds a very feminine touch of elegance "
It is interesting that the composition of the sub dial is not mentioned in the description.
The larger gents version without the cabochon and the coloured sub seconds dial is the same price £895, however the Roman numerals are solid and not skeletonized like yours and the small dial matches the rest of the white dial but has no numerals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your input Longjean, I will search for the 1999 zenith catalog for more info about this watch. I saw the gentlemen watch you described and will find one for myself since I gave this watch to my wife. I have a relatively small wrist but a slightly bigger watch would be ideal.

Don

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi All, Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Can anyone tell me the reasons for differences between the zenith class elite reference 01.0125.680 and the 01.1125.680.

Visually the 1125 has the starred logo on dial and crown, and I believe a starred logo deployment clasp.
The 0125 has no logo on dial. Older Square logo on crown and on pin buckle.

Can anyone confirm this. Are there any other differences?

I am looking to buy the 01.1125.680 but they seem to be harder to find for sale than the 01.0125.680.....particularly in black dial.

Many thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
19,154 Posts
The 01 denotes a stainless steel case, the 680 stands for the movement (subseconds version of the "Elite", with date). The middle bit is the reference number sensu strictu. As far as I can see, the only difference, apart from the dial colour which is not enough to warrant a new reference, would possibly be the dial diameter. The grey dialled one is marginally bigger.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 01 denotes a stainless steel case, the 680 stands for the movement (subseconds version of the "Elite", with date). The middle bit is the reference number sensu strictu. As far as I can see, the only difference, apart from the dial colour which is not enough to warrant a new reference, would possibly be the dial diameter. The grey dialled one is marginally bigger.

Hartmut Richter
Thanks Harmut very helpful. I believe both are 37mm. And I know both were available in black dial versions, but I believe the grey dial was only available in 01.1125.680.

Are you able to comment on the change to the star logo on the dial and crown?
Also do you know where I could find the range of dates of production for each of these references 01.1125.680 and 01.0125.680

·
19,154 Posts
The Zenith star disappeared in the early 1970s when the company was bought by the Zenith Radio Corporation. Around 1999/2000, Zenith was bought by LVMH and Thierry Nataf was made CEO. He quickly revamped the model range and brought in the "Grande Class" series within a year or two. Only a little time after that, the star logo was resurrected. I would therefore think that the black dialled version you have shown is from that transitional period, i.e. an early specimen. As for overall production dates, I have no idea - you would have to look at old catalogues or approach Zenith directly.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congratulations!
Thanks. I'm really loving this watch. Initially I thought the brown dial was a bit of a left field choice, but in all honesty most of the time it looks a very dark blue Almost purple, which is quite cool. In direct lighting it reverts back to brown......
Both the pictures were taken seconds apart in the same place.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to dig an old thread up. I really like this model. Could I ask your wrist size?
Cheers.

Congratulations!
Thanks. I'm really loving this watch. Initially I thought the brown dial was a bit of a left field choice, but in all honesty most of the time it looks a very dark blue Almost purple, which is quite cool. In direct lighting it reverts back to brown......
Both the pictures were taken seconds apart in the same place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts