WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hope someone can help!!

Recently viewed an automatic Zenith Defy, would really love as much info as poss from anyone who knows about this watch.

It is:
  • All stainless steel
  • Hexagonal (or octagonal, didnt count!) case and hexagonal case back (about 40mm)
  • Silver dial with orange/yellow tipped second hand
  • Defy written between 6 and centre axis of dial
  • Zenith written under 12
  • 28800 written underneath Zenith
  • Told it is circa 1972-75
That is about all I can remember but I would love more info about it, ie pictures, when it was circulated, how common/rare, did it come on b/let or strap (is on non orig leather strap at mo), can proper b/let be sourced etc or any other info.

I have a reasonable knowledge of watches but have never seen one this shape before.

Would really appreciate any info!! :thanks

Valentino

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,644 Posts
Hello hope someone can help!!

Recently viewed an automatic Zenith Defy, would really love as much info as poss from anyone who knows about this watch.

It is:
  • All stainless steel
  • Hexagonal (or octagonal, didnt count!) case and hexagonal case back (about 40mm)
  • Silver dial with orange/yellow tipped second hand
  • Defy written between 6 and centre axis of dial
  • Zenith written under 12
  • 28800 written underneath Zenith
  • Told it is circa 1972-75
That is about all I can remember but I would love more info about it, ie pictures, when it was circulated, how common/rare, did it come on b/let or strap (is on non orig leather strap at mo), can proper b/let be sourced etc or any other info.

I have a reasonable knowledge of watches but have never seen one this shape before.

Would really appreciate any info!! :thanks

Valentino
Welcome to the forum!

Hexagonal? Or more like octagonal?! Like the ones in the picture (see below)? Those are from ca. 1972. A closer indication can be gained from the serial number on the back of the case which should be 000x000 where 0 are numbers and X is a letter, probably D (earlier examples) or E (later ones). The whole watch is typical seventies: chunky, outlandish design, the sort of thing you'd hardly wear much these days - but you just gotta love it somehow!

Hartmut Richter

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Valentino

Sounds like this one. One of my all time favourite watches.

It's not that scarce but it is lovely (beauty being in the eye of the beholder). This one's on the original bracelet that I think was found on all of this model. The bracelet is perhaps less lovely than the watch.

The one on the left from 1969, the other from 1972.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave, you sure found it!!

Do you have any idea how much a decent one would go for?

Fell in love with it when I saw it so need to make someone an offer, guessing I'll have to fork out a couple of hundred for a service (thats what I paid to get my 77 Omega up and running) and might have the dial restored depending on the condition (can't remember). If you could give me an idea that would be helpfull? Guess it would be nice to know what you think it would sell for (serviced but not on original b/let) so I can work out what to pay for it.

Also where would I find an original b/let and do you know how much they go for?

Sorry for all the questions but you obviously know your stuff,

Regards

Valentino

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was offered a couple of years ago to buy a Defy like this, but the dial was seriously damaged (badly repainted actually) so I turned down the offer (though it was pretty cheap). If you can't remember the condition of the watch, it is hard to get a price estimate.

You can order a replacement bracelet from Zenith, but it will be expensive - even measurable to the total price of the watch (I myself have that problem with one of my watches) - But in this case I can imagine this watch with a leather strap (the original bracelet is'nt very appealing)

·
Registered
624 Posts
These turn up on the bay fairly often in various conditions. I think I paid a bargain £175 for the silver dial one in nice clean condition but needing a service. I've seen them in the range £100 ($150) to £500 ($750), the latter in unworn condition with box and papers. I would say £200 to £250 is a fair price for a decent example, bearing in mind the cost of service.

Acme's right, the bracelet isn't very appealing (folded links) and probably not worth what Zenith would charge you, even if it is available. I wear mine on a strap and it looks fine.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These turn up on the bay fairly often in various conditions. I think I paid a bargain £175 for the silver dial one in nice clean condition but needing a service. I've seen them in the range £100 ($150) to £500 ($750), the latter in unworn condition with box and papers. I would say £200 to £250 is a fair price for a decent example, bearing in mind the cost of service.

Acme's right, the bracelet isn't very appealing (folded links) and probably not worth what Zenith would charge you, even if it is available. I wear mine on a strap and it looks fine.

Dave
Cheers, what do you think I would realistically get if I bought it, found it too big for me and wanted to sell it on this forum, obviously fully serviced but no box and papers. On new strap of course,

Thanks

valentino

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cheers, what do you think I would realistically get if I bought it, found it too big for me and wanted to sell it on this forum, obviously fully serviced but no box and papers. On new strap of course,

Thanks

valentino
Hard to say but I think it's unlikely you will find it too big by current standards. It's about 38mm without the crown, which itself is quite large and screwdown.

If you like the look of it you are unlikely to be disappointed. Watch out for serious damage to the crystal which is very thick, bevelled and mineral. Having said that my silver dial one has a few scratches but they are only visible in strong direct sunlight and virtually undetectable otherwise.

Dave

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Thanks Dave, you sure found it!!

Do you have any idea how much a decent one would go for?

Fell in love with it when I saw it so need to make someone an offer, guessing I'll have to fork out a couple of hundred for a service (thats what I paid to get my 77 Omega up and running) and might have the dial restored depending on the condition (can't remember). If you could give me an idea that would be helpfull? Guess it would be nice to know what you think it would sell for (serviced but not on original b/let) so I can work out what to pay for it.

Also where would I find an original b/let and do you know how much they go for?

Sorry for all the questions but you obviously know your stuff,

Regards

Valentino
Best way to determine value in my opinion is to do a search for "Zenith Defy" on Ebay and then in the left navigation bar under Preferences, selected "Completed Listings". Look at the watches that have sold and that should give you a good idea of value.

I would not service the watch if you intend to sell it, unless you have a watchmaker who will do it really inexpensively.

No one has mentioned it, but I would expect your watch to have a 2572 movement.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Damon.

Yes and yes. I wear the silver one at least every couple of weeks but the grey one stays in its box most of the time. It's in unworn condition and seems too nice to risk. So, a wearer and a keeper.

Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Dave, I wear the red dial Defy every couple of weeks. It is very accurate. The black dial is not original and I am contemplating selling it.

I think these watches still look rather contemporary given their large size for their time.

Lastly, I really like your black open chronomaster! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. b-)

Damon

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts