WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better option? Both manual wind, no date, slim dress watches with display backs. Zenith 40mm whereas Nomos is 38mm but I would think both would wear similarly on wrist based on Nomos's lug size. Zenith is twice expensive but on gray market, you might get it cheaper than Nomos Orion or at least equal, so price isn't the issue.

Anyone know more info about their movements and their comparison? What about servicing costs? I know Nomos is pretty affordable in that area, no idea about Zenith.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
First all I would strongly suggest going for the Zenith with the applied markers;

Secondly, I went through the exact same process and I chose the Nomos Orion Datum;

Am I glad?
Yes, to me the Orion Datum is perfection.

You might also want to consider the Habring Felix;

Zenith unfortunately seems to be on a bit of a slide.
I'd rather own an Orion which is one of Nomos's best watches than an Ultra Thin which is a bit anonymous.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Zenith Ultra Heritage vs Nomos Orion vs Montblonc Ultra Heritage

Actually in the SIHH 2015, there is a new model launched by Montblonc. It is perfect alternative to the above 2 watches - No date, hand would and ultra slim heritage model with applied markers and the price is less than the two models - Nomos & Zenith.

Montblanc-Heritage-Chronometrie-Ultra-Slim-5.jpg

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zenith unfortunately seems to be on a bit of a slide.
I'd rather own an Orion which is one of Nomos's best watches than an Ultra Thin which is a bit anonymous.
Congrats on your Orion Datum and this above is a very valid point, thanks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had an Orion and enjoyed it for sometime; having said that, I would go with the applied numerals Zenith as aesthetically it appeals more to me.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an Orion and enjoyed it for sometime; having said that, I would go with the applied numerals Zenith as aesthetically it appeals more to me.
Zenith with applied indices is 42mm, I would not prefer to have a 'dress' watch that big. What was the issue with Nomos?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with the Nomos. The watch is gorgeous, but it sat on my box without being worn; so I moved it to help build up the watch kitty for the next purchase.
BTW I agree that 42mm is too big for a dress watch. I thought both Zeniths were the same size.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ Yeah, pure dress watch occasions are far and few. Now a days, no one cares even if you wear a dive watch with suit for a wedding. For office wear, it hardly matters what you wear.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'd go with the zenith hands down. It is definitely an under the radar but excellent watch. For me, I find Zenith to be amongst the most intriguing of brands.

The design has one great strength - absolute timelessness. It, in my mind, also has a downside - the size. Unless you have 7.5"+ wrists I have to wonder if it is on the large side.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

I'm not normally one for Montblanc, but this is nice. Something about the balance between very formal case/strap/hands and then the semi-formal dial.

Actually in the SIHH 2015, there is a new model launched by Montblonc. It is perfect alternative to the above 2 watches - No date, hand would and ultra slim heritage model with applied markers and the price is less than the two models - Nomos & Zenith.

View attachment 2710761

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm not normally one for Montblanc, but this is nice. Something about the balance between very formal case/strap/hands and then the semi-formal dial.

Yes, this Montblanc looks to be bargain priced with applied indices and MSRP being just $2200. If it is like other Montblancs, you might see this model on grey market for around $1500... I hope sooon :)

·
Registered
485 Posts

Yes, this Montblanc looks to be bargain priced with applied indices and MSRP being just $2200. If it is like other Montblancs, you might see this model on grey market for around $1500... I hope sooon :)
Plus an in house made (not developed, it's a peseux 7001 mod) movement, somewhat like nomos's alpha movements.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I have small, thin wrists, but the Zenith Captain Ultra Thin 40mm (with applied indices) did not feel too big for me, when I tried it on last weekend.

I shall be trying on the Stainless Steel version of it tomorrow.

It is a very beautiful, classy-looking watch.

Pictures do not do it justice at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,107 Posts
The zenith is pretty but i will not speak anything good about a LVMH brand and the NOMOS is a small company that takes pride in its work; and offers staggeringly good value for the money (unlike anything from LVMH). Go for Nomos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts