WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

A year ago I owned a day date speedmaster and since a few weeks I recognised that the zero position of the minute counter is not the 12 o'clock position any more (see the picture). Call me a nit-picker but how can that be? Is there any reasonable explanation for that? Exposure to magnetic fields maybe?
I wear it nearly every day and regularly use the chronograph to determine the exact time for boiling eggs or other things.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My day-date is spot on at zero, but I rarely use its chrono functions. I doubt from what I read a magnetic field would do that. Was the watch subject to a shock?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before mine was on the spot too. I take care of it very well and it wasn't subject to a shock, whether thermal nor mechanical. Unfortunately I am very unsatisfied with the German service-centre of Omega and I do not want to send it in for any service.

Maybe this is just the ordinary tolerance but I don't really think that tolerances are that visible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Swatch chrono is also off. I can live with it on a $400 dollar watch, I'd notice it more on $3000 dollar watch.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Can't you adjust them via a combination of crown position and pusher sequence? On some movements if you pull the crown out to it's furthest stop, one of the pushers will select the dial to adjust and the other will advance clicks until you let go of the pusher (single trigger=one click; continuously depressed=constant advance).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a interesting hint but doesn't work and in the manual nothing is written about a manual adjustment of the chronograph hands.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Can't you adjust them via a combination of crown position and pusher sequence? On some movements if you pull the crown out to it's furthest stop, one of the pushers will select the dial to adjust and the other will advance clicks until you let go of the pusher (single trigger=one click; continuously depressed=constant advance).
You're thinking of battery powered quartz chrono movements.

To the OP, if the minute hand is zeroed correctly with the chrono running but is offset when reset AND not running then it needs adjusting with the case back off. If this is the case but it was zeroed correctly before in the past, then most likely the screw holding the adjusting sliding spring bar has come loose and let the reset position slip.

If the minute hand has never lined up, even when chrono is running, then the hand needs removing and placing back synched with the dial marker.

You can do a search on past posts for details on the adjusting the chrono minute wheel for the 7750 which I assume your movement is based.

Either way, you need to open the case back to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few weeks ago the minute hand lined up no matter if it was running or stopped and reset.
Now the hand is not lined up in both cases.

It sounds strange because the SMP has these cardiodic shaped reset positioners and I assume that the resetting for the day-date is done in a similar way. This would mean that the hand actually slipped. This can't be, can it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
It does sound like the hand has slipped and needs placing back properly. You might want to check the big hour hand and see if it's clashing with the small chrono minute hand when pointing around the 10-20 minute markers. Maybe they collided and caused a slight slip.

The day/date has a similar broad jumper to lock each date position between transitions but there's no serviceable adjustment here as it's so broad. There isn't a heart shaped cam to reset the day/date like the minute wheel has. The chrono minute has a fine trimming adjustment, applicable only when the chrono is running, as it's dealing with much smaller increments of movement. However, it doesn't have an adjustment for the hard reset with the chrono stopped. So if the hand is offset at reset then the hand is not placed correctly. There is no other possibility I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
410 Posts
The hands are only a friction fit on the pinions and can slip if knocked etc. All you do is take it off and replace it at zero and fixed!

nothing to do with magnetic fields or Swiss colliders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I am not a fan of opening expensive things within the warranty period. Concerning this timepiece I asked myself already twice if this is really intended to be like that. Is it right to spend a few thousand Euro and bothering about such issues?

·
Registered
583 Posts
If it's loose enough to slip that much then I would think it's at risk of falling off it's post completely. It's held in under friction just like a cork in a wine bottle.

I have seen the chrono sub hands being very close to the main hour hand if the hour hand is mounted just slightly to low on the post and/or the hands are bent and not parallel with the dial. But that would only be seen with very sloppy servicing.

Are you sure it wasn't like this since day 1 when you bought it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes,the hand was in line before and I carefully enough admired my watch to be really sure about that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well you either get it fixed under warranty if still inside. Or just wait till it's first service in 3 years or so and it will automatically be corrected as part of the overhaul. It's your choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I wait. Maybe the hand will slip again in the other direction. Although it is disappointing to have complaints with a brand new expensive time piece the most thing one should have is time.

Thank you for your support. I just wonder if I am the only one who experiences such things. For example I lost completely trust in the German Omega Service Center because my previous day-date was "repaired" by them (one month after purchasing) and showed the same malfunction (weekday didn't switch completely over) after two more weeks. They refused to replace it although the whole situation was ridiculous and finally the jeweller replaced it. So, I definitely have time to send my watch in for overhaul.

Have a nice Easter holiday.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think I wait. Maybe the hand will slip again in the other direction.

Have a nice Easter holiday.
I very much doubt it. Even if it does slip the other way, you have more chance of winning the lottery than it synching back dead on.

You seem to have a lot of bad luck with your day-dates. However, that is the most complicated of the 7750's in regards the calendar plate so lots more risk of thing to go wrong and a little more drain on the available torque with all those complications being pushed around.

Still, it's one of the nicer looking Speedys to me. Stick with it.

Happy hols |>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey

When I visited my AD the watch-smith encouraged me to give Omega a chance and pointed out that from his point of view not only the small minute hand but also the big second hand and the date hand are not in their correct position.

So, I changed my mind and decided to send my day-date in for a set of new hands.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Wow! I learnt something today.

Fixed my old Seiko Chronograph which has this problem today.

Thanks mate! :-!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts