WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
These are some very cool Zhongshan watches.:-! Congratulations! I find the one with 24 hours and date sub-dials most interesting as they added those features to a low grade 9 jewels movement. Most Zhongshan's second hands has a square center that is uncommon for other brand VCMs.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,045 Posts
Awesome stuff, Torsten...a beautiful specialty/niche collection

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,333 Posts
This one particularly caught my eye:

One reason is the unusual calendar and day/night subdials. Both very simple modifications, but still surprising to see this kind of enhancement to the humble SN2.

The other detail that caught my eye is the tilted (not italic) font for the numbers. I've seen this once before on a Raketa watch. It gives the illusion that the entire dial is tilted. IIRC, the description of the Raketa was 'motorcycle watch' i.e. it is tilted to make it easier to read while riding a bike. I doubt if that is the true reason for it, but it makes a good conversation starter.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Maybe its just me, but most of those dont seem to be textured at all. Good examples of chinese vintages though.

What about the company itself? Does it still exist?

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,045 Posts
It gives the illusion that the entire dial is tilted. IIRC, the description of the Raketa was 'motorcycle watch' i.e. it is tilted to make it easier to read while riding a bike. I doubt if that is the true reason for it, but it makes a good conversation starter.
Look again at the highlighted hour markers...the dial _is_ tilted. I think possibly that's due to the movement mods required for the two sub-dials, but I'd have to check another example to be sure.

Interestingly, with the uneven sized sub-dials and the entire design taken as a whole, the piece still has a very appealing visual balance...at least to my eyes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts