WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently Joe sent me two pre-production samples of the upcoming TRIMIX watches. I received the Black Pirate dial diver and the blue dial GMT watches. The watches came in a black Pelican case with a custom Pirate emblem on the cover. Upon opening the case, the initial reaction I had was WOW, these watches are impressive to say the least. Close examination of the build construction shows a high level of quality that is typically seen in watches costing double this price range. Fit and finish are remarkable, the attention to detail really shows as I handled each watch. Joe's design direction of the vintage divers of the seventies really comes through on these two watches. The cushion style case, Plongeur hands, dial layout and mesh bracelet all work together to really achieve that vintage look. The watch measures 45mm wide (49mm including crown), 17.5mm thick including domed crystal, 52mm lug to lug. If you like a large, heavy-weight, well built diver you will truly like this one.

Technical Specs:
• Depth rated and verified to 2000m / 6600 ft
• Movement: Modified Swiss ETA 2836 with independantly adjustable GMT hand.
• Case: Heat treated surgical grade 316 stainless steel.
• Double O-ring UPE & NBR (Nitrile Buatadiene Rubber) gaskets, a material superior for resilience to tensile and compression stresses.
• Automatic Helium Release Valve.
• Bezel: 120 click unidirectional rotation with chemically treated anodized insert for superior scratch resistance.
• Crystal: 5.5mm thick, premium grade "A" optical quality sapphire for superior clarity. AR coated on the interior.
• Bracelet: 4.2 thick, bead blasted finish to match the case, 24mm wide tapering to 18.5mm at the clasp.
• Dials: Premium anti-fading UV resisting paints based on ASTM standards testing, 34mm diameter.
• Lume: Swiss made Tritec Grade A Super-LumiNova.

The watch wears extremely comfortably for a watch with these dimensions. The case back is flat in contour with a slightly raised tri-tank graphic, so the weight of the watch sits closely to the wrist. The short lug length keeps the watch positioned very stably on the wrist with no overhang (I have a 7 1/4" wrist). Also, the curvature of the case contour hugs the wrist.

I have to mention the bezel on these watches. This is one of the best bezels I've handled on any dive watch. The machining on the ribbing is flawless on these two samples. The tolerances of rotation are spot-on, there is no bezel slop at all on either sample, nice firm clicks with no back-play. The inserts on both watches have a matte finish with crisply etched numbers that are filled with enough lume to light up a dark room.

There are a couple of tweaks to the watch that Joe says he is still refining. The second hand "box" will be enlarged to about double it's current size. Also, he is working with the German mesh bracelet supplier on fine tuning the fit to the lugs. The mesh bracelet is of nice quality and contributes to the distinct overall vintage image of the watch but I personally would like to see a true link bracelet developed sometime in the future.

In talking with Joe over the past year of development of the TRIMIX watches I know he has really gone above and beyond the normal development efforts in the creation of these watches. Holding them in my hand and having them strapped to my wrist, his attention to detail clearly comes through. With watches like Kobold, Doxa, Omega, and Korsbek in my collection, I can say that the TRIMIX will fit very nicely within there company in the watch box.

OK, enough info, let's get to the photos:

Black Pirate Diver:

GMT Diver:

Some back views:

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You guys don't think I forgot the lume shots did you? Take a look at this lume.........

Black Pirate Diver:

GMT Diver:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Excellent Pics!

That is a fantastic looking watch. Too bad for me Santa already did his shopping for me! The overall look of this piece definitely 'speaks to me' Love the mesh, and the shape of the case. The specs sound like an awful lot of watch for the price listed on the Zinex website.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Great pics! How does the lume on the GMT dial compare to the lume on the Nitrox (which was just average)?

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great pics! How does the lume on the GMT dial compare to the lume on the Nitrox (which was just average)?
Eric, I have the Nitrox and I agree the lume is average. The lume on both TRIMIX models is incredibly brighter than the Nitrox. When fully charged, these watches literally illuminate a dark room.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Eric, I have the Nitrox and I agree the lume is average. The lume on both TRIMIX models is incredibly brighter than the Nitrox. When fully charged, these watches literally illuminate a dark room.
Thanks for the report. I preferred the larger markers on the GMT dial but was afraid they would be "dim yellow" in the dark like the nitrox, but Joe assured me they were quite bright. Glad to see that was confirmed! I am really looking forward to this one. Great work by Joe and great review you posted!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Fantastic looking watch...that lume combo is I think the coolest I've seen.
Not one for the office diver though with the 17.5 height...it would be a wkend watch for me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Superb pics and nice to read a review... talk about whetting my appetite...! Drooool...

Damn I cant wait to get mine now.

Thanks Dave and Joe. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The mesh bracelet is of nice quality and contributes to the distinct overall vintage image of the watch but I personally would like to see a true link bracelet developed sometime in the future.
Agreed. But for some reason, I just can't enjoy meshes that attach at the lugs with a tube (i.e. anything but the Omega mesh). It's not that it looks bad, but it just doesn't look right to me for some reason. Anyways, the Trimix looks great :-!

·
Sponsor
616 Posts
Here, is a technical exploded view of Trimix.......

PS...We will be sending out the final invoices for all who are on the pre-order list on Dec 2nd, the Trimix will be in the over night mail we hope around the 18th through the 21st on the way to you.......:-!

JOE....

Zinex Watch Company

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
love the pics...

they really show the details of the watch and the bracelet. really looking forward to getting this and strapping it on... :-!

Joe, will we be able to order an extra pair of screws for the Trimix? i always like to have extra to accommodate any mishaps during strap/bracelet changes.

·
Sponsor
616 Posts
Re: love the pics...

Hi Den, thanks, we are quiet happy with everyone's reaction so far....................

In regards to lug SS screws, that can certainly be arranged incase someone needs it......:)

JOE...

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: love the pics...

b-) b-) b-)

along with the Trimix, i've got two other watches coming in Dec and this is going to one of the most anticipated arrivals of 2008 and a great way to close out the year.

Hi Den, thanks, we are quiet happy with everyone's reaction so far....................

In regards to lug SS screws, that can certainly be arranged incase someone needs it......:)

JOE...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts