WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All ,
following the suggestion of Phil Hill , I'm writing to all of you trying to obtain an expertise about the following Zlatoust :
Concerning the Zlatoust that you could see in the following address I have a doubt about the coevalness :
A) the gasket : have you ever seen a “plastic / silicon” gasket in Zlatoust instead of the ordinary gasket with screws? The vendor says that originally the watch had a plastic gasket that was restored with a new one ( black instead of white).
B) the dial ( tritium dial restored ) that , with respect to the hands , seems to be the first dial produced .
C) and about the number in the back of the case that seems oriented in a wrong way.

What do you think ?
Thank you very much for your help.
Best Regards from Italy .
Luca

zlatoust russian navy diver watch 1950's | eBay

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I was actually thinking about this too. The gasket migfht have been replaced as rubber after so many years may have simply fallen apart. The number... well it could depend on the series of this watch, I wouldn't care that much if the rest of this watch was all right. The dial looks OK, but the movement doesn't - it is a 1937 1GChZ with a replaced balance and ba;lance cock... well definitely not what it should be (should be a ZChZ type I). So even if the watch is actually original, and it might be, someone has made some half-professional repairs IMO...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That's not impossible actually. You don't know how long it glows, but in waterproof watches with no humidity 'attacking' the lume, it might be fine after many years. I've got an Edox Delfin from the sixties and the lume is in fine condition. The same with well-maintained old Amphibians. It won't glow long, but still, they glow fine for a moment...

·
Registered
839 Posts
The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that the dial, lume, case, etc are in ridiculously good condition. That does seem too good to be true but it could be true.
Some claims of fakery, when mint watches are shown in this forum, are hard for me to accept because its hard to see financial gain from meticulously recreating a watch that sells for $50.

In other words, sometimes the more plausible explanation is that a new watch was stored in a dry place for decades, rather than a frankenmeister creating a handful of perfect replicas to sell for peanuts.

However, with the asking price for this Zlatoust, at least the economics of re-creating it in a workshop start to make sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that the dial, lume, case, etc are in ridiculously good condition. That does seem too good to be true but it could be true.
Some claims of fakery, when mint watches are shown in this forum, are hard for me to accept because its hard to see financial gain from meticulously recreating a watch that sells for $50.

In other words, sometimes the more plausible explanation is that a new watch was stored in a dry place for decades, rather than a frankenmeister creating a handful of perfect replicas to sell for peanuts.

However, with the asking price for this Zlatoust, at least the economics of re-creating it in a workshop start to make sense.
Thank you to all of you for your impression.
In italian market an original Zlatoust is valuated 600/700 eur : it is not so cheap ! I bought the " questionable zlatoust "for 350 eur because I'm interested to check :
1) the movement that according the seller is a 7 jewels instead of 15....
2) the number code in the caseback that is in a contrary positions
According to the seller the watch was restored : the only thing that it is not original is the gasket in the crown tube.....
I'm not sure that the item is a 100% original Zlatoust bit I have to say that the Zlat it is the most ambigous russian watch that I have never seen : few info very confused....
I sent the pics to Agat for requesting some original spare parts ( gasket /tube chain ) : they told me that the watch is original..... will seee.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts