WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like the look of both these watches, but must choose only one. Thoughts? I know ultimately it's my choice, just looking for some opinions :)

Hamilton Pan Europ
h35405741.jpg

OR

Zodiac Sea Dragon

ZO9907_main.jpg

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Re: Zodiac or Hamilton ??

I have a brand bias toward Hamilton, but the Zodiac looks better.
Since the Zodiac comes on a bracelet you will always have the option to switch to the rally strap.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

you left out another factor - how much would you be paying for each? (not msrp, but actual today's prices)

·
Registered
292 Posts

Hamilton is Swatch group's entry level brand with all the unnatural constraints that implies.

Zodiac is the flagship of America's largest watchmaker and has an in-house with longer power reserve and an extra useful jewel.

I'm not going to mention you could have bought the Zodiac limited edition version 2 weeks ago for around $400.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hamilton is Swatch group's entry level brand with all the unnatural constraints that implies.

Zodiac is the flagship of America's largest watchmaker and has an in-house with longer power reserve and an extra useful jewel.
Good points.

I'm not going to mention you could have bought the Zodiac limited edition version 2 weeks ago for around $400.
I think the LE Sea Dragon has a red dial? I like the blue.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

ahh, $200 difference. that's a lot in the affordables realm!

nowadays when i have two watches i like, i ask myself, if i buy this would i still want the other one?

i like the hamilton, but the zodiac has the date at the 6, one of my favorite current complications. (notice i said mine...these 'which should i buy' threads are really our votes for our favorites, not yours)

you can get the zodiac and a couple of nice custom straps for the price of the hamilton. buying on bracelet is one of the 'basics' many of us follow on f71.

both will wear large on the wrist also - a consideration (or not, depending on your preference).

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts

+1 for the Hamilton

Do you know the dimensions on both, Scottman? Have you tried both on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

+1 for the Hamilton

Do you know the dimensions on both, Scottman? Have you tried both on?
The Zodiac is going to be a bit smaller I think at 40mm, the Hammy it at 42mm I believe. I have a 7.25" wrist and can usually pull off up to 43mm. Both of these have more of a cushion type case, which may wear bigger?

·
Registered
423 Posts

I find the Hamilton more visually interesting out of those two choices and I've owned a few Hamiltons so I know the quality is great. I'm not familiar with Zodiac though...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

I like the look of the Zodiac better but pretty much gave up on them and other luxury tier Fossil owned brands due to several QC issues (hand alignment, date alignment, date turnover, crooked bezel on their drivers, crooked crystal, dial finishing defect, etc.).

They're on the right track design-wise, but have a little ways to go if they want to play at the $1K+ MSRP range IMO. I could have been unlucky, but after 5 unsuccessful tries, I'm hesitant to buy again or fully recommend them.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Personally I think the PanEurop is better looking. I have the chrono version and will be getting the three hander down the road. Plus, if you decide to flip it, the hammy will probably easier to sell.

·
Registered
292 Posts

You had that ad streak with the Armani's and the 2 Zodiacs, but look at how many people recently had to return the Pan Europ's from the affordable's heads up thread. Lots of QA issues around that model which I've never heard regarding Hamilton in general.

I like the look of the Zodiac better but pretty much gave up on them and other luxury tier Fossil owned brands due to several QC issues (hand alignment, date alignment, date turnover, crooked bezel on their drivers, crooked crystal, dial finishing defect, etc.).

They're on the right track design-wise, but have a little ways to go if they want to play at the $1K+ MSRP range IMO. I could have been unlucky, but after 5 unsuccessful tries, I'm hesitant to buy again or fully recommend them.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts

The Zodiac is going to be a bit smaller I think at 40mm, the Hammy it at 42mm I believe. I have a 7.25" wrist and can usually pull off up to 43mm. Both of these have more of a cushion type case, which may wear bigger?
I was extremely disappointed in the Pan Europ when I was able to try one one. The inner portion of the dial being very small gives the optical illusion that the watch itself is tiny (or rather, big case, tiny dial.) If you have the opportunity to try one on, I recommend it. To be honest, trying one on cured me of my desire to own one immediately. YMMV and I know a lot of people absolutely love theirs. That's why seeing the actual watch is so helpful. Online pics can only do so much and I'm not the one who has to like it.

Zodiac is going to be harder to find in person, but it is possible. I'm not worried by their quality. I tend to dismiss them out of hand on sizing-- for divers I have a pretty serious 42mm minimum and would need to see anything smaller in person before deciding if it's OK. Again, YMMV and that sizing may be more to your liking.

Reactions: ScottmanZ
1 - 20 of 57 Posts