WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just got my new Zodiac Sea Wolf (ZO 9203) a week ago. I bought it from a private seller, not from an official shop, thats why I cannot compare it to other Zodiacs. Since Im totally new in mechanical watches (this is my first watch ever) I would have some (maybe silly) questions. I hope the Zodiac owners can help me :) BTW Its a great watch, Im really happy with it.

1. DATE CHANGES BEFORE MIDNIGHT - I realized my watch changes the date 20 min before midnight. I did not found any related information about the STP 1-11 movement. Any experience? I also changed the date once around midnight. I did not knew there are banned hours at some movements. Is the STP 1-11 belongs to them? Is it possible that I caused some trouble inside? There are no problem with the date change, the only thing is it changes at 23.40. If its normal I can live with that.

2. THE ROTOR WOBBLES - When Im knocking or just tapping the dial with my fingers or if I shake the watch, I can hear and also feel that the rotor wobbles. I read in some forums that is quite normal for a mechanical watch. Im just curious if any other Zodiac owners detecting the same or not?

3. ACCURACY - How accurate is your Sea Wolf? Mine is gaining +12 sec in 24h. Is it possible it would slow down a bit?

Many thanks for the answers!

zodiac.jpg

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
1. DATE CHANGES BEFORE MIDNIGHT - Not really normal, but not a huge deal, IMO. A competent watch repair person could align the hands for you.

I also changed the date once around midnight. I did not knew there are banned hours at some movements.
Is it possible that I caused some trouble inside? - Not good. RTFM. But I believe if you actually did damage, it would be very obvious, so I think you're OK.

2. THE ROTOR WOBBLES - When Im knocking or just tapping the dial with my fingers or if I shake the watch, I can hear and also feel that the rotor wobbles. - Normal to hear and feel the rotor.

3. ACCURACY - How accurate is your Sea Wolf? Mine is gaining +12 sec in 24h. Is it possible it would slow down a bit? - Give it some time. It will likely settle out.

What on Earth possessed you to buy an expensive automatic watch and not learn how to operate it? I know people are all different, but this is not something I would do. In any case, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I would have read the manual if I would have one... Although the watch was new there were no box and no manual. I got it with the Zodiac label and the foils on the front and on the back dial, but thats all. The seller did not mentioned anything about how to change the date securely. He showed me how to set the time, but basically thats it. All I know about this Zodiac is from the forums like this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
From my understanding when you set hands and date after a service you align the hands at 12 and roll the date forward until it's correct. That way the watch "thinks" it's just twelve after midnight. You then go ahead setting the correct time of the day.

Just ignore if I'm repeating what someone else has said. :)

·
Registered
8,370 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
No!!!!!!!

From my understanding when you set hands and date after a service you align the hands at 12 and roll the date forward until it's correct. That way the watch "thinks" it's just twelve after midnight. You then go ahead setting the correct time of the day.

Just ignore if I'm repeating what someone else has said. :)
Just the opposite, never change dates between 11 pm to 2 am as the date change mechanism may be engaged and you are forcing it manually.

1. Set time to 6 o'clock.
2. Use quick date change to set date one day before current date.
3. Advance time until correct date is displayed.
4. Advance time to correct time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No!!!!!!!

Just the opposite, never change dates between 11 pm to 2 am as the date change mechanism may be engaged and you are forcing it manually.

1. Set time to 6 o'clock.
2. Use quick date change to set date one day before current date.
3. Advance time until correct date is displayed.
4. Advance time to correct time.
So even if I have taken the hands off the watch. Stripped the entire movement. Reassembled it and is putting the hands back on. I should not put the hands on at 12 but instead align them at 6?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I think that there is confusion here between setting the time and setting the hands so that the date changes at 12.

To set the time after the hands have already been attached to the stems, as described above start sometime (before 11) of the date before and rotate them past 12 to change the date, then set the time.

However, if you have just serviced the movement and still have the hands off, re-set the keyless works and rotate till the date changes over exactly. Then set all the hands on the stems to 12. As a watchmaker I can get the date change within a second or two of the time hitting 12 usually. This is harder if the watch isn't hacking or if it is a day/ date, which usually has some lag time.

The watch changing 20 min early is just laziness on the part of whoever set the hands assuming that the movement was already set to 12 and not checking.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I owned two and they changed dates at 11:20 and 11:40pm. Not a huge deal but still not quite acceptable IMO, especially since it retails for $1,200+.

Their QC and attention to small details seem to be lacking from other issues I've had with them. They're made by Fossil and I don't think they've quite stepped it up enough for the luxury market. This coming from a picky watch fanatic though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts