WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Early last year when Zodiac released the reissue of the Seawolf, I thought to my self - hmmmm that one looks good, will look forward to checking that out.

Anyway, have been looking for one for a while now and notice that they are pretty much only available either direct from Zodiac or their online shop the WatchStation (sell only Fossil owned brands by the looks of it) - with no discounts at all.

i tried one on (red bezel) in Singapore and thought it was a lot nicer than the Oris 65 which was on my list too - but the exchange rate at the time sucked and so I didnt buy - though in hindsight I should have got it.

There are Fossil shops all over Asia but they dont stock Zodiac's - maybe I am missing something and someone can enlighten me - as they are really missing out on all those that want a modern watch with a vintage style (like the readily available Oris 65's)

Maybe someone out there knows the reason for this low supply ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Been interested in this for a while, but at $1300, it just seems a bit overpriced. I've looked at the vintage Sea Wolf market and good quality vintage Sea Wolfs are rare as unicorns or ridiculously priced.

I have no idea why the distribution is so limited, especially considering Zodiac's relationship to Fossil and (presumably) it's access to Fossil's distribution chain.

Early last year when Zodiac released the reissue of the Seawolf, I thought to my self - hmmmm that one looks good, will look forward to checking that out.

Anyway, have been looking for one for a while now and notice that they are pretty much only available either direct from Zodiac or their online shop the WatchStation (sell only Fossil owned brands by the looks of it) - with no discounts at all.

i tried one on (red bezel) in Singapore and thought it was a lot nicer than the Oris 65 which was on my list too - but the exchange rate at the time sucked and so I didnt buy - though in hindsight I should have got it.

There are Fossil shops all over Asia but they dont stock Zodiac's - maybe I am missing something and someone can enlighten me - as they are really missing out on all those that want a modern watch with a vintage style (like the readily available Oris 65's)

Maybe someone out there knows the reason for this low supply ?

Thanks in advance

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,650 Posts
....especially considering Zodiac's relationship to Fossil and (presumably) it's access to Fossil's distribution chain.
What are you talking about ? Zodiac is Fossil, Fossil is Zodiac, that's why the STP movements. Already in October 1, 2001 Fossil Inc. acquired the worldwide rights to the Zodiac brand name for approximately $4.7 million. Already in 2002 Zodiac was ready to show their first models at Baselworld.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Finkle is Einhorn. Einhorn is Finkle.
Lol. This guy gets it.

I have wondered myself why they are harder to find anywhere but online. It seems a lot of companies these days are taking their product directly to the consumer skipping traditional middlemen. I think the reason these are not in the Fossil stores is in general your average Fossil shopper is not looking to spend $1k+ on a watch. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
What are you talking about ? Zodiac is Fossil, Fossil is Zodiac, that's why the STP movements. Already in October 1, 2001 Fossil Inc. acquired the worldwide rights to the Zodiac brand name for approximately $4.7 million. Already in 2002 Zodiac was ready to show their first models at Baselworld.
What he's talking about are the hundreds (thousands?) of Fossil stores across the U.S., and why won't Fossil sell Zodiacs through those stores, since they are the same company. I've wondered that too, but asking the Fossil employees is pretty pointless as they don't really know what Zodiac is.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I think the reason these are not in the Fossil stores is in general your average Fossil shopper is not looking to spend $1k+ on a watch. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed.
Marketing an upscale watch through what is essentially a fashion watch outlet doesn't strike me as having any potential for success.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Agreed.
Marketing an upscale watch through what is essentially a fashion watch outlet doesn't strike me as having any potential for success.
They already have the space, so placing them there is no extra cost. People are already there buying $300 satchels and $500 coats, so a $1000 watch that takes up no floor space is a no-brainer. I think it would also tend to raise the brand appeal. Brands do this all the time by offering higher valued products to their normal product line.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
+1.
It seems to me that most forward-thinking companies would want to open up new revenue streams by offering more "up-scale" products in their stores rather than see it as diluting their "lower-scale" fashion brand.

They already have the space, so placing them there is no extra cost. People are already there buying $300 satchels and $500 coats, so a $1000 watch that takes up no floor space is a no-brainer. I think it would also tend to raise the brand appeal. Brands do this all the time by offering higher valued products to their normal product line.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Been interested in this for a while, but at $1300, it just seems a bit overpriced. I've looked at the vintage Sea Wolf market and good quality vintage Sea Wolfs are rare as unicorns or ridiculously priced.

I have no idea why the distribution is so limited, especially considering Zodiac's relationship to Fossil and (presumably) it's access to Fossil's distribution chain.
Don't think there's much more room in this boat! This sums up my interest exactly, and I think Zodiac did a great job on the reissue (date window notwithstanding). But even at $1,000 I'd be puffing out my cheeks a bit.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I thought for sure I'd have one by now, but I am unwilling to pay the steep MSRP and haven't seen any other availability either. Nostrums sells them online with no discount but when I went to the nearest store they had never heard of Zodiac. If I found one <$1000 I'd probably bite, but I'm not seeing them anywhere. 39mm sounds like the perfect sized diver, but there is no way for me to try one on.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to see I am not the only one who can't seem to get one at a bit of a discount (I find it hard /almost impossible to pay msrp). Saw a couple on Amazon after I posted this last night but no discount and not the one I like.

You would have thought that a company with Fossil's marketing savvy would have made it a little easier to buy- but what do I know I am just a consumer who has a myriad of choice in this price bracket

·
Registered
36,304 Posts
Couldn't find the Zodiac, so when these became available on Black Friday for under $500US, the Zodiac became "out of sight, out of mind"

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
It is an extra cost. First, there's the inventory that likely won't move, and I don't sense that these are high-production models. And then there's the opportunity cost of the unproductive space. Also, it undermines the Zodiac brand, if they are trying to move it back upmarket where it belongs. It's the same reason Movado doesn't sell Ebel or Concord in their regular retail points of sale (of which there are thousands) and reserve them only for their company stores (of which there are only a couple dozen).

Rick "if putting watches in a retail point of sale wasn't expensive, we wouldn't see them declining" Denney

·
Registered
9,500 Posts
Find an original Seawolf from the original Zodiac Co.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Find an original Seawolf from the original Zodiac Co.
If you are willing to wear a 35.5 diver with a rotating bezel, and pay nearly the same for one in pristine, fully serviced condition with an original bracelet.

Rick "whose Aerospace GMT is in the same case and just a tad too small for a diver" Denney

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It is an extra cost. First, there's the inventory that likely won't move, and I don't sense that these are high-production models. And then there's the opportunity cost of the unproductive space. Also, it undermines the Zodiac brand, if they are trying to move it back upmarket where it belongs. It's the same reason Movado doesn't sell Ebel or Concord in their regular retail points of sale (of which there are thousands) and reserve them only for their company stores (of which there are only a couple dozen).

Rick "if putting watches in a retail point of sale wasn't expensive, we wouldn't see them declining" Denney
Not sure I agree. The space is already there, taken up by some other merchandise that will be moved/replaced by something else in the next 6 months. There's no net cost difference to the store, and in fact the space may actually become more valuable if a higher dollar item like this watch sells better than the $50 trinkets it replaced (we're not talking racks of clothing or satchels being moved, a display of watches takes much less space).

The Zodiac watch part of Fossil does incur a cost from having to move the watches to multiple locations versus shipping them out of a centralized warehouse direct to customers, since the customers pay for the shipping in the centralized case. Of course, that minor expense (for a company the size of Fossil) can be easily offset by moving just a little more product. Putting that product in front of tens of thousands (or more) new eyes each quarter should easily result in a sales bump.

Overall the net cost increase, if any, is negligible. This is not like setting up a Tourneaus or Omega Boutique, with millions of dollars in inventory. A corner of the store where they already sell quartz and (a few) mechanical watches would easily suffice, and should start to drive traffic to the stores from the hordes of WIS that are clammering for their Zodiac. :)

Now, if you want to talk about the affect on the Zodiac brand by being directly associated to Fossil, then that's fair, but I think most people already realize it and it would be a net positive. To me, that's the most tenuous part of the entire discussion. But moving them and selling in them in Fossil store would be a minor expense, if that.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
Being owned by Fossil already puts them on the crap list for WISes, but they have gotten good reviews and they fill a niche in the diver market. People here already dump abuse on any brand associated with malls, even Cartier.

Fossil is probably just trying this on for size.

Also, despite Mike's posting, the marketing team for Zodiac is probably different from the team for cheap Fossil watches, and internal cooperation in American corporations seems to me more of a problem than external cooperation.

But the Fossil website does report a range of retail outlets for Zodiac, including one not that far from where I live. But they are jewelry stores.

Movado's outlet stores get 95% of their turnover from Movado, ESQ, and their licensed brands, which probably have a larger margin than their Concord and Ebel cases. But selling Concords and Ebels requires a lot more sales effort because of the higher price point (even discounted).

But I have seen a handful of Zeniths in TAG-Heuer/LVMH outlet stores, and I wonder how well they sell. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rick "not expecting much commitment from salespeople used to selling a $50 watch every ten minutes" Denney

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whether they sell in the Fossil stores or not, I find it strange that they are not available all over the net, like Fossil's are and pretty much every other brand bar a few. It's driving me nuts as I want one but refuse to pay MSRP for one. Caught between a rock and a hard place. It also means there are very very few on the 2nd hand market too

1 - 20 of 40 Posts