WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recently received a Triple Crown Frogman, and also a set of strap adaptors + a 24mm Zulu band. I put it all together and the strap adaptors make the Frogman look a lot more streamlined and sleek. Now the only problem is that I'm having serious problems with the bumpy underside of the two Zulu strap ring area chaffing against my wrist. It seems like there's a hard sewed edge to it, and any movement against my wrist causes irritation. I haven't even tried wearing the watch out of the house as I know I wouldn't be able to stand it. :-( Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of maybe somehow sticking a small piece of cloth to the underside of the band to prevent chaffing in that area.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that, because I find the two-ring Zulu to be supremely comfortable. A small cloth pad would seem to be the answer - either that or surgical spirit to toughen your skin...

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I've had that problem with a few Nato straps.

Try heating up a teaspoon (not the wife's best silver ones of course ;-) ) and using the convex part of the spoon to slightly melt and smooth off the area. Worked for me. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
i have the same exact problem. so it was very disapointing to buy a strap that has all this hype about it, then when i get it my wrist is irritated from some kinda of hard stiching of some sort.
terrible waste of money as i cannot smooth it out enough to where its comfortable, so it just doesnt get any wrist time at all. i would sell it but then my purchaser would have the same prob and that wouldnt be right..
maybe you can buy a new one and the problem wont be the same as iv noticed some complain and some dont, theres probably some bad straps going around?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have several NATOs and ZULUs, one of my NATOs gave me that problem and I smoothed it out with one of my wife's metal fingernail files.

·
Registered
491 Posts
A couple of suggestions...

Aloha,

I've had Maratec Zulu straps since they first were introduced, and I have between 15 to 20 right now, in 20mm 22mm and 24mm. They are installed on most of my watches 40mm and larger. For me, they are the most comfortable straps I've ever used, particularly in warm, humid environments (like Hawaii). And as far as rough edges and unfinished holes, they are the best finished straps I know of. Given all this, there are a couple of things I suggest you try:
  • Location of the rough point - Check and see if the point giving you problems is under the steel strap keeper, or whether it's the buckle tang hole or the cut strap end. Both can sometimes have hard or sharp points. If they do, an emery board will do wonders.
  • Location of the buckle - Take a look at where the strap buckle sits on your wrist. It could be putting pressure on a particular part of your wrist. You might want to move your watch a bit on the strap (easy on the single layer two ring version) and see if that makes the strap more comfortable.
See it these will help.

Mahalo,

andy

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: A couple of suggestions...

Thanks everybody for the replies and suggestions. It seems like the point of irritation for me is the edge of the backside where the 2nd steel strap keeper is...that's the point where the strap doubles back on itself and is then sewed and sealed to the band with some type of hard adhesive like material. I had thought about filing away this material but was afraid that I'd end up loosening some threads from the cloth material once I sawed through the hard adhesive...but since another member did it successully, I went ahead and gave it a try. It seems to have done the trick where the strap is a little more tolerable now then before. It's still scratchy but it no longer bites into my skin like it did before. I'm still not quite sold on Zulus as far as comfort is concerned but I'll give this a try. The majority of the time I wear metal banded watches so this scratchy cloth is definitely way different for me.

I was also wondering, how are you supposed to deal with the extra tongue of the strap once you loop it through the strap keepers, since the strap keepers are permanently set so close to where the strap adaptor is attached? With the strap adaptors, I notice there's enough leftover room in the strap adaptors that I can actually just slip the tongue end of the strap into the slot that the strap goes through. But are you technically supposed to bend the strap back and loop it back through the strap keepers? I think that's what I've seen in pics, and it makes the band look so bulky.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts

I was also wondering, how are you supposed to deal with the extra tongue of the strap once you loop it through the strap keepers, since the strap keepers are permanently set so close to where the strap adaptor is attached? With the strap adaptors, I notice there's enough leftover room in the strap adaptors that I can actually just slip the tongue end of the strap into the slot that the strap goes through. But are you technically supposed to bend the strap back and loop it back through the strap keepers? I think that's what I've seen in pics, and it makes the band look so bulky.
Yep, that's the way to do it. It doesn't look or feel bulky to me, but that's a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the Zulu's. They look great and feel like they'd last forever but they aren't the most comfortable bands I've worn. One problem, especially with my Seiko Diver's is that because they are such heavy watches, you have to really cinch the Zulu's down tight or they will flop around on your wrist. This makes them too tight for me and they end up cutting into my wrist. Haven't tried them with a G but since they are quite a bit lighter, it might not be a problem.

·
Registered
783 Posts
iv purchased two zulus and was not happy with them. so i will be sticking to rubber, metal, and exotic leather bands from now on.
maybe its my baby like skin! haha

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I just recently put a zulu on my Citizen diver and my SBS Mission Timer has a nylon on it. It feels a little rough at first but after wearing for a while you don't notice it much.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just recently put a zulu on my Citizen diver and my SBS Mission Timer has a nylon on it. It feels a little rough at first but after wearing for a while you don't notice it much.
haha your skin slowlu adapts to it by devoloping a layer of leather. maybe i just purchaed my zulus from the wrong place. i will try for a third time when i get my next watch. hopegully it works out this time..

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
haha your skin slowlu adapts to it by devoloping a layer of leather. maybe i just purchaed my zulus from the wrong place. i will try for a third time when i get my next watch. hopegully it works out this time..
I'm assuming it was a Maratac zulu?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's hard to believe a Maratac Zulu would chafe like that; out of all of the NATO bands I've purchased they're the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I take a keeper of the resin strap and put it on the zulu band. Not needed when I put it on an outerlayer though. (The keeper is at the bottom) So you just run it through the second loop again then through the resin keeper.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm assuming it was a Maratac zulu?
yes it was, but i misplaced my words. it wasnt where i bought it but more of how the straps were wearing. sorry about that.
i tried everything i could think of including what others have suggested and havent had any satisfying results. maybe the filing wll help but that may also jepordize the stitching.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can happily give a thumbs up to the filing suggestion...you will roughen up the threads a bit but nothing broke loose completely on me, so it does work out nicely. After the filing the Frogman pretty much "disappeared" on my wrist, and I didn't feel it at all. Give it a try! BTW mines is a Maratec Zulu.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The Maratac Zulus are not my favorite nylon dive straps. I personally find the quality of Rhino straps to be far better. No scratching or itching. No pulled threads around the holes. I've never had a Rhino wear out on me. I have one Rhino that gets worn very often, and has lasted for years. I can't say the same for my Maratacs.

With that said, I do use a Zulu strap on my TC Frogman. I also had a rough spot in the same place as Elsydeon. I used an emery board to soften the rough spot, and have had no more irritation problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts