WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i've decided that instead of buying a ton of watches I'm going to try and buy a very zulu/nato friendly watch and a lot of straps. I have seen a couple of pics where simple white-cream dialed watches are used with a variety of straps, any re commendations for such a project?

TIA :-!

·
Premium Member
40,912 Posts
Well, i've decided that instead of buying a ton of watches I'm going to try and buy a very zulu/nato friendly watch and a lot of straps. I have seen a couple of pics where simple white-cream dialed watches are used with a variety of straps, any re commendations for such a project?

TIA :-!
I think it's probably easier to come up with a list of watches that don't work on a Nato than a list of those that do.

White/cream dialed watches do often go well on a Nato - particularly vintage dress watches. If you want this look then you could do a lot worse than picking up a cheap vintage dress watch (with gold or gold-plated, rather than stainless steel case) and a bunch of Natos and have a play around.

Alternatively, just do a google search for images of "watch nato strap" and you'll see a bunch of ideas.

Are there any of your current collection you'd like to try?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Anything that isnt a dress watch.....

Reactions: hayday

·
Registered
383 Posts
From my experience watches with military heritage usually go well with nylon straps, whereas NATOs work better with divers and Zulus are more suited for field watches. I did a comparison test recently, below are the results - three different watches with the same NATO strap.

I have to say a cream faced SARB with a NATO is not my cup of tea, but YMMV.

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
White dials are awesome with NATOs because every color works with them. I have a white dial Universal Geneve and I wear it on so many bright colored NATOs that wouldn't work well with black dials.

Reactions: Darth Hotdog

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
This: Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 420634 Meranom.com

Or this:
Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 420381 Meranom.com

Or this:
Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 710615 Meranom.com

Or this:
Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 710059 Meranom.com

Or this:
Vostok Watch Komandirskie 219179 Meranom.com
\

Or this:
Vostok Watch Komandirskie 211783 Meranom.com

Or, for example (if you can find them on eBay)

(I'm sensing a pattern here. :))
Cheap, durable divers are great on NATOs. Vostok is one of my favorites (as you can tell).

Reactions: Noam the Newt

·
Registered
447 Posts
The white dial Explorer II looks killer on a NATO.

Reactions: Darth Hotdog

·
Registered
538 Posts
My personal experience has been that thicker cases and top-heavy watches don't work as well with natos as thinner ones.
Nothing over $300.00:rodekaart. just my opinion, and I don't make the rules. Ok ok it's more of a guideline than a rule
NATO on 2254.50 was my go-to for years. Haven't found another combo I personally like more.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My personal experience has been that thicker cases and top-heavy watches don't work as well with natos as thinner ones.

NATO on 2254.50 was my go-to for years. Haven't found another combo I personally like more.
I just don't care for the look on higher end watches. I've tried and just can't do it. Nothing is wrong with them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Nothing over $300.00:rodekaart. just my opinion, and I don't make the rules. Ok ok it's more of a guideline than a rule
The G10 (or 'NATO') strap was invented for the British Military. Unfortunately many of the watches that are appropriate on this strap for this very sound historical reason cost well in excess of $300. I believe the Rolex Submariner would fall into this category.

I don't make the rules either.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh yes, the Omega SM300 was another Royal Navy watch too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The G10 (or 'NATO') strap was invented for the British Military. Unfortunately many of the watches that are appropriate on this strap for this very sound historical reason cost well in excess of $300. I believe the Rolex Submariner would fall into this category.

Dang it Brummyjon are you stalking me! Your probably right. I love the history so I'm going to check this out. It won't change my mind but it could force me into acceptance, and I know this is important to you.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Most divers, field/military watches. Some pilot watches. As far as which ones, that's up for you to decide. Heck, You can put whatever YOU want on a NATO or Zulu. It's your watch and your wrist. Do whatever you want.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
There's a lot more than dial color to consider. Case shape, lug design and how the back is. Having a double layer of strap under the watch adds a lot of thickness. Most watches look like they a hovering above the wrist.

Bob

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

Correct. In fact a NATO was the only way to wear a MilSub ... the spring bars were replaced with fixed bars. They're a little north of $300...

To the OP - any military of Sub style watch would work. Look at Marathon or Steinhart. Actually they look at home on most any diver since thats a very common use ... its a much more secure strap system (the watch will still stay attached to the strap even if there is a spring bar failure) so a lot of people will use if for real diving (as opposed to desk diving).

·
Registered
538 Posts
There's a lot more than dial color to consider. Case shape, lug design and how the back is. Having a double layer of strap under the watch adds a lot of thickness. Most watches look like they a hovering above the wrist.

Bob
I've been cutting off the piece that doubles back under the case and just using it as a pull-through strap. I like the nato hardware more than the zulu buckles. I think I'll wear this one tomorrow:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Dang it Brummyjon are you stalking me! Your probably right. I love the history so I'm going to check this out. It won't change my mind but it could force me into acceptance, and I know this is important to you.
:)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I take it that most of you like the two ring Zulus right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts